Testing for Earth Leaks prior to CU replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I would canvas thoughts on whether or not anyone does earth leak tests prior to replacing a fuse board with a 17th Edition CU? If you are not careful you can get to the end of the installation and the IR tests fail which means the RCD tests will also fail. Any thoughts? :?:

Sponsored Links
Not just earth leaks, also check between circuits as an old favourite is to have staircase lights with live from one circuit and neutral from another.

Sponsored Links
When you say earth leak tests, what tests do you mean.
I do insulation resistance tests

To me it is far easier to tell some one they need to spend money before you start than half way through a job.

I did a free job for a friend and with that fitted board then tested. Well not quite tested found earth loop was 350 ohms so fitted new board with ELCB-c (RCD) instead of ELCB-v and new earth rod before I could really test.

But in the main test first. As to things like borrowed neutrals (Well really borrowed line) with two way switching it is that common now a standard test.

As to cure well I would return to orignal. In most cases orignal has single lighting supply which has at some time been split. With CFU used today see no reason not to combine again!

But it is all down to what you want to tell the client! If you say I can test first and give you a set price or test after and if all is OK you save money but if not you pay extra then there is no reason why you need to decide.

What I find is more of a problem is screws I can't remove. You look at job easy. Then you start only to find can't get cover off fuse box and wall is crumbling away as you touch it plus in a space designed for a hobbit.

:) Thanks everyone for the replies, yes I will get out more. Yes Earth Leakage is really an insulation resistance test and I am going to do them prior to removing anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back