Testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello chaps,

Do any of you test (live) on boilers with a multi meter ie continuity on low voltage stuff like air pressure switchs etc ????

I always have and to be honest never come across any problem.

The other week I put my meter over a faulty overheat stat 240v an the boiler fired up I thought this would blow my meter.. any advice and your thoughts pls :confused: :confused:

By the way I done the above by accident :LOL:

Sponsored Links
get into the habit of dead testing to avoid this problem, I've tripped a few over the years, bit of hassle when someone works from home on the PC.

If you can test with no power on at all, do so. Too many things can catch you out, not in the least customers and their kids/pets.
I even had one step over a barrier I put up to ensure my safety! :eek: whilst I was correcting a non connected earth in the consumer unit.

If you can test with no power on at all, do so. Too many things can catch you out, not in the least customers and their kids/pets.
I even had one step over a barrier I put up to ensure my safety! :eek: whilst I was correcting a non connected earth in the consumer unit.

You got 17th Edition qualificaltion then Ben???....Get real son a gas monkey like you shouldn't touch any leccy systems!!'

Sponsored Links
hello chaps,

Do any of you test (live) on boilers with a multi meter ie continuity on low voltage stuff like air pressure switchs etc ????

I always have and to be honest never come across any problem.

The other week I put my meter over a faulty overheat stat 240v an the boiler fired up I thought this would blow my meter.. any advice and your thoughts pls :confused: :confused:

By the way I done the above by accident :LOL:

A certain amount resistance passes through some multimeters this is why your boiler started working . Be safe get yourself some fused test leads and upgrade to a fluke.

If so many sparkys didn't f**k up wiring on heating systems, we wouldn't need to be doing them, had to sort incorrect wiring countless times on such as y plans where sparkys have cocked it up, twin and earths to room stats as well is a common problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back