Texecom Elite 24 - Bellbox Issue and Teething Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Please go easy on me - first post here, although have been reading various posts on the forum which have helped me to install my Texecom Elite Premier 24.

I have (just about) completed the install, but have a few questions on commissioning and setup before i put the lid on it and forget about it for good.

I have 5 zones on PIR which are wired DEOL (built in resistors in the PIR's), one Entry Exit Door contact, 1 Remote Keypad, a COM2400 and an Odyssey 5 Compact bell box. Im using Wintex via a USB lead to program.

Here is a picture of the wiring to the panel which shows whats going on - still needs a bit of a tidy up.
alarm.JPG

First Issue is the bellbox (Odyssey 5 Compact)

I connected the 5 wires up at the sounder - A B C D S, then connected them at the panel, then went back to the panel - at that point just the left LED was flashing which indicates a tamper - fair enough as the bell box lid was off. Then i enabled the battery jumper in the bell box which started the LEDS flashing quickly right and left - which shows Hold Off is active. Then I popped the lid on and watched until the box went out of Hold off and into normal mode - I noticed that when the LEDS started flashing slow (normal operation) the right LED only illuminated (and weakly at that) twice, before not illuminating at all. So now what I am left with is just the left LED flashing slowly - (at least that's what I think, as a left slow flashing LED also means Hold Off Active, tamper open.)

The bell box seems to work OK, the bell test is fine and strobe test is fine. Its just I only have one LED flashing which looks a bit odd.

Today i did a strobe test 3 times within 30 seconds from the keypad, (to enable hold off) then went outside and popped the cover off - I have put a 2k2 resistor between Tamper and 0v to see if that has changed anything but it made no difference.

Is there something i have done wrong or does it look like my bell box is faulty? Is there a way I can test that right LED with a multi meter?

(This would surprise me a bit but i suppose it can happen.) If it is faulty, what sequence do i need to do to disconnect it without the battery backup kicking in and making it go off forever and a day?

I also have a couple of other questions -

I installed the COM2400 with a BT line to it, thinking it was a dialler or communicator of some description to alert my mobile phone in the event of an alarm - Is this possible with the COM2400 or do I need to purchase a standalone dialler?

If i click into Zones on Wintex, i have all my PIRs on zones 2 - 7 with DEOL selected on the wiring options, and zone 1 is my contact which is just selected "normally closed". These are all selected area A only. What stumps me a bit is the whole Area A and Area B thing? Why do I have this? Do all my zones not want to all be in the same area?

Many Thanks for your help
Craig

Sponsored Links
First not a good idea wiring in bt cable
Sounds like its faulty
I does not need a 2.2k resistor
The comm 2400 can do sms texts to your and up to 3 other mobiles
2 areas so you can run 2 alarms from one panel . Eg garage on a separate area

Hi,

Think you should check the incoming voltage to the siren. Check accross the hold off + - to ensure you have sufficiant voltage above 12v. If it strobes & sounds right i would assume voltages are ok & box is working. If i remember correctly the Comfort LEDs have plug on connecters to the main PCB, check these are on correctly.

Com2400 will do SMS texts & coded transmissions to an alarm receiving center. Your have to go into the com2400 set up & configure it for SMS and add your numbers look for an option to send SIA text this will give you circuit discriptions as per your zone programming. In global options your see printer header text this can be your home address & will be included in smSMS text. Be aware that the SMS are charged at about 50p per message when testing & if open/close (set/unset) texts are sent. An auto dialler would be cheaper to run. The message center number can be an issue too, original systems had an O2 message center this now needs to be vodafone as they are the only ones operating this service.

Areas A& B are if you wanted to split the entire system into two seperate systems as such. What your looking for is Part sets. Example, go to Zone set up go to landing go to the landing zone attributes and select part 1 omit. Now when you set alarm on part set 1 the landing will be off. In global options you can make the part arm silent.

Resistored zones should be normally closed EOL. If your door is just wired with out resistors it should be just normally closed:

Hope this helps.

Voda tap service is not 50p
Open tap may be but it's not in the panel , you have to add it

Sponsored Links
Voda tap service is not 50p
Open tap may be but it's not in the panel , you have to add it

How much is it then, i guess there must be a charge of some kind. I disabled one years ago because of high cost when open/close sent SMS.

Hi,

Think you should check the incoming voltage to the siren. Check accross the hold off + - to ensure you have sufficiant voltage above 12v. If it strobes & sounds right i would assume voltages are ok & box is working. If i remember correctly the Comfort LEDs have plug on connecters to the main PCB, check these are on correctly.

Com2400 will do SMS texts & coded transmissions to an alarm receiving center. Your have to go into the com2400 set up & configure it for SMS and add your numbers look for an option to send SIA text this will give you circuit discriptions as per your zone programming. In global options your see printer header text this can be your home address & will be included in smSMS text. Be aware that the SMS are charged at about 50p per message when testing & if open/close (set/unset) texts are sent. An auto dialler would be cheaper to run. The message center number can be an issue too, original systems had an O2 message center this now needs to be vodafone as they are the only ones operating this service.

Areas A& B are if you wanted to split the entire system into two seperate systems as such. What your looking for is Part sets. Example, go to Zone set up go to landing go to the landing zone attributes and select part 1 omit. Now when you set alarm on part set 1 the landing will be off. In global options you can make the part arm silent.

Resistored zones should be normally closed EOL. If your door is just wired with out resistors it should be just normally closed:

Hope this helps.

Hi chaps thanks for your reply

I have now removed the 2k2 resistor in the box. I have checked the voltage at the bellbox and it is a healthy 13.6v. I then checked where the LEDs plug in as you suggest, all seemed ok. I even swapped the two LEDs over to see if the fault followed the LED or not, even when the LEDs were swapped, the right one would still not illuminate. I have contacted the distributor who are going to send me out a replacement - maybe a transistor has blown or LED is faulty? I will let you know how i get on with the replacement.

In terms of the communicator I have ticked the box for SIA text and only got Alarms/Cancels, Priority Alarms/Cancels and Maintainance checked and entered my phone number. I will set the alarm off and see if it sends me an SMS. Im only interested in it letting me know if there has been an intruder - not bothered about whether its armed or not etc.

If I click into diagnostics, i notice the two green dots next to "Bell SCB" is this right? I want them set up as SAB, (I think?) and I have set the bellbox jumper to SAB (as it comes as standard.) Do I need to alter a setting somewhere - could that be causing my bell box LED problem? Pic attached of diagnostic screen.

Thanks
Craig

Attachments

• alarm1.JPG
    alarm1.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 464
Vodafone about 20p a call last time I checked and open tap is 50p I believe but prices change.

SMS messaging requires arc to be set to SMS, SIA Text is not required in the config options at the end.

your bell as supplied as does the the panel come set as SAM mode.

you said tyour leds on the bell were working and now only one of them works?

LED's indicate the status of the bell box (see bell box manual), a stead flash alternating is what you should have.

never had the leds fail, but if you put it in hold off mode and they flash okay but not when the system is supposed to be secure and ready for action then theres a fault somewhere with the bell box.

As its getting swaped you should 12 v to it secure the tamper and you can see it working, before taking it up to swap over.

Last edited:
Go go UDL digi options and perform a test call 0 you should get a text. Save you setting alarm & triggering whist playing around. Once you get your test text then try triggering to make sure it works in a real situ

Not sure about your bell, poss faulty. Batt link should be on. Low current mode does not really matter if only one bell. SAB link should be on & same setting in panel.

your bell as supplied as does the the panel come set as SAM mode.

you said tyour leds on the bell were working and now only one of them works?

Hi Secure

Is SAM mode the same as SAB? I have the jumper set to SAB on bell box but unsure on my settings at panel end - where do I find this? Those 2 green dots next to Bell SCB when i did the diagnostic (see pic in my other reply) just threw me a bit - have I got my panel set to SCB yet me bellbox to SAB? Where do I check/change this?

As for the LEDs, when it first arrived they flashed quickly right and left, which means its in hold off mode, after 2 minutes it entered normal running mode and the right LED only lit up (dimly) twice, now it does not light up at all whether or not its in normal mode or hold off mode - so I think something must be wrong with either the PCB or LED at the bellbox. As said, voltage is fine, and apart from that the unit seems to work fine. Just wanted to check they were both set to SCB mode in case that was causing a problem?

In communication options, ARC1 SMS call centre 1 number is set to 07785499993 and SMS centre 2 is set to 07860980480, do these need changing to use the Vodafone 20p option as you talked about? Under the ARCs tab, i have entered my mobile number in primary tel number. I am struggling to find where to perform a test call 0 also?

Thanks a lot I appreciate your time - ive attached another 2 screen shots of SMS settings.

Craig

alarm2.JPG alarm3.JPG

sorry sab cant type for toffee hands been decorating, the panel and the bell are at default SAB

first number is Vodafone the second number no longer exists hasn't done for years, no idea why its been left in.

if you are using the keypad the testcall, engineers code, 7 yes, 1 yes, 0

I believe the mater user can do a test call but as an engineer I rarely operate from the user menu oter than demonstrate the panel working

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back