Texecom Premier + GSM Module

Customers would have to be made fully aware.....Thats not difficult. So people will not get surprises as long as the installer/homeowner can use maths to work out costs.

I think the call cost is relative to the person, Premium rate numbers are dialled all the time for "things" less important than alarm signalling. I know people that have dual path signalling and still want text alerts.

Call costs are relative to the user and as long as they are made aware what is the problem? Maybe we are in a nanny state but thankfully the alarm industry is not.

We are not responsible for an end users decision on what system to use we can only offer all the options.

The service will always be more reliable than previous centre's as it is not a totally open service, users will have to register so the hardware can be upgraded to meet demand.......did Voda O2 or T-mobile do that? NO

Sponsored Links
Just to answer the previous question. The telco's owned the numbers, so they were making the profit on the calls (up to 17p per call). Since they weren't limited to security systems, there were/are hundreds of systems using the service.

So, they either thought that there wasn't enough profit involved to make it worthwhile, or the technology is dated / not future-proof and will be phased out.

If the company providing the 50p service were to take the incoming CLID and then resolve to the customer account rather than charge 50p per dial, then I think that would be a much better 'managed' service. Ie. Allowing people to set limits on their spend and at the same time only pay for successfully received transmissions.

>>The service will always be more reliable than previous centre's as it is not a totally open service, users will have to register so the hardware can be upgraded to meet demand.......did Voda O2 or T-mobile do that? NO

Err, you don't need to have registered customers to get demand trending. You only need to look at usage per incoming number. The telco's will not invest in old technology that will not be reliable in the future.

Just have a look on the web for information on what's happened in the US with MODEM based alarm / fax transmissions. Lots of unhappy people when their systems cannot communicate after upgrades. Talk to Steve Nutt from ipalarms.net He has lots of background on this!

I am sorry but I do not agree with you, and you seem to just want to argue.
javascript:emoticon(':evil:')

>>>If the company providing the 50p service were to take the incoming CLID and then resolve to the customer account rather than charge 50p per dial, then I think that would be a much better 'managed' service.<<<<<

IF YOU ARE SO CLEVER WHY DO YOU NOT SET IT UP? javascript:emoticon(':LOL:')

>>>>Err, you don't need to have registered customers to get demand trending. You only need to look at usage per incoming number. The telco's will not invest in old technology that will not be reliable in the future.<<<<<<

We really do not agree on all this so you wait until call volume is high then upgrade the hardware????...........

I think you are missing the point.
Have a good weekend javascript:emoticon(':D')

I am sorry but I do not agree with you, and you seem to just want to argue.
javascript:emoticon(':evil:')

>>>If the company providing the 50p service were to take the incoming CLID and then resolve to the customer account rather than charge 50p per dial, then I think that would be a much better 'managed' service.<<<<<

IF YOU ARE SO CLEVER WHY DO YOU NOT SET IT UP? javascript:emoticon(':LOL:')

>>>>Err, you don't need to have registered customers to get demand trending. You only need to look at usage per incoming number. The telco's will not invest in old technology that will not be reliable in the future.<<<<<<

We really do not agree on all this so you wait until call volume is high then upgrade the hardware????...........

I think you are missing the point.
Have a good weekend javascript:emoticon(':D')

I'm not arguing, just want to ensure that readers are aware that this type of service can hit their pockets.

I wouldn't bother setting up an analog service over networks which are currently being converted to digital. I think existing PSTN based customers would be better served and future-proofed by fitting £20 PSTN to IP converters.

I'm not missing the point. You're saying that customers who register will then give the provider an idea of high demand. I don't think that's quite right. If a customer registers, you really have no idea if/when they will use the service. The reality is that most will register, then send at least 1 SMS, so the registration process gives no upside on demand over recording usage. Also, are you saying that if I get 100 people who never intend to dial the service to register, then the business will invest in new equipment and additional lines based on that. Wow!

If you monitor usage over time gives much more data points for
equipment requirements than a single 'registered' data point.

Anyway, we can agree to differ.

Sponsored Links
I'm not arguing, just want to ensure that readers are aware that this type of service can hit their pockets. .[/quote]

The only time I have known of lots and lots of calls has been when a digi was trying to dial sms centre's that were overloaded or off. Whats the most activations you have ever had with sia/sms? personally I have never seen a huge amount at once. And call stats can be monitored/alerted to the installers very easily

.[/quote]
I wouldn't bother setting up an analog service over networks which are currently being converted to digital. I think existing PSTN based customers would be better served and future-proofed by fitting £20 PSTN to IP converters..[/quote]

I am not arguing IP over Sms or vice versa, that is another topic for discussion............ I am arguing that this new sms centre is better than the old ones!!

.[/quote]I'm not missing the point. You're saying that customers who register will then give the provider an idea of high demand. I don't think that's quite right. If a customer registers, you really have no idea if/when they will use the service. The reality is that most will register, then send at least 1 SMS, so the registration process gives no upside on demand over recording usage. Also, are you saying that if I get 100 people who never intend to dial the service to register, then the business will invest in new equipment and additional lines based on that. Wow!.[/quote]

Obviously usage would be monitored, but once again you are wrong..... there will be no hardware changes just because 100 people joined up, it's not that simple.....and steps in hardware will support thousands of new users not a hundred.

I feel as though I am banging my head against a wall with you tbh mate
[/u]

Whats the most activations you have ever had with sia/sms?

26 from a panel hiccup giving lots of tampers.
Regularly around four or five for activations or false alarms: BAzone,BRzone,BAzone,BRzone,CT,OG

Granted, the first is unusual, but would cost £13 at 50p/msg. The second would be £3 for a single activation. For ongoing costs, you'd also have to factor in regular tests.

All the above are with Honeywell Galaxy panels.

at 50p a call it would be cheaper fitting a gsm unit and a sim only contract from £5 a month . seen this type of service before ( pyronix ) that didnt last long...

If it never texts it will cost nothing.....then send 1 text a year later cos of a false alarm..........Many systems will text that rarely.....so is it still cheaper to fit a gsm module???
And surely that setup is better than just bells only??

And there is a set up cost of at least £200 + vat (£300,$400,£500???), to install up a gsm modem which then needs gsm signal. Many people do not want to pay this outlay or do not have good enough phone reception.

And as far as the pyronix set up not lasting long there are still thousands of people using the vodafone service to send messages over a pstn line.

I am not an ambassador for sms via pstn and I do think that ARC monitoring is advised in many situations but there are many situations that people want sms alerts, and the 50p per call set up suits them financially.

I have this new sms number and the vodafone number in the Texecom panel at our office, even though we have G3dual-path monitoring (world sim).

I understand that it is not an ideal form of comms but tbh people that are Higher up in the industry than us lot know what they are doing and they know how many people will use this set up.

And Yes we all know.......

Sms cannot be verified by the panel that it has been sent....
50p per call is expensive to many people.......
Sms via PSTN is not the future........
ARC monitoring with police response is better......

We could go on and on all day.....

All I can add is that it is working and it will be used by many many people.

i have been using the sms service for years now and find it 90% reliable but the choice has now gone down to the vodaphone service only, there must be thousands of alarms using this service, so how they cant make a profit from this i dont know, even at a small increase say 20p a text its money for nothing.

The only interest I have in this thread is to help others, unlike your interest which is solely making money.

Frankly I wont hold my breath for an upcoming announcement from any manufacturer reharding your service.
Just for your information, I have knowledge of one of the manufacturers mentioned and they appear to be more than happy with the testing so far.

Perhaps you should start to train up some homing pigeons then?
£5 a bird should do it for you. Or give them away free as you're not interested in making a living.

The vodafone sms centre we all use was never intended for us to use we just used it. if that makes sense

yes it was used for paging when we all had radio pagers lol.....

I wish you the best of luck in your ventures, however I will continue to despise people who spam their products (in a now deleted thread) return under a new name to bump a 2 year old thread and make unsubstantiated claims like...

Shortly this number will become part of factory defaults with many of the leading alarm panel manufacturers.

Several of the main alarm panel manufacturers are going to publish this number soon.

Your clearly a salesman out the say "the right things", everyone knows salesmen bs when they hear it.

TBH mate you seem to know so much more than me(lol) so why not set up a competing product and get oxford uni to use it?.............

Ah I forgot some people do not agree with anyone making money........

to quote Europlex......."£5 a bird should do it for you. Or give them away free as you're not interested in making a living"

I actually have a GSM & Analogue MODEM bank with multiple lines. I've even written multi-protocol receiving software including support for Galaxy Microtech and generic TAP. The project was shelved due to the long term reliability of analogue communications over the BT networks that are being rolled out! IP is the only way forward for M2M and old PSTN equipment can be retrofitted with very low cost PSTN to IP adapters.

I just wouldn't try to compete with the likes of Twilio and Tropo for the telecoms part. They have excellent API's and SMS is just so cheap at 2.5p per message. And as for server monitoring, there are just too many low cost players already in that market.

Oh, and the reason I was surprised about Oxford University, is that I have many dealings with various Uni IT departments and they just don't use old dial-up MODEM's anymore. That sort of tech for server monitoring was EOL'd about 10 years ago.

whats up have you put your life savings into this ? the way YOU are behaving it sure looks like...................................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back