Texecom Premier + GSM Module

:)

Voda one is hit and miss, try sending open/close messages at 5pm when thousands of businesses are closing.
And more importantly the Vodafone sms centre could be pulled at any time, how anyone can "sell" that is beyond me.

I am not going to get into the debate over different costs with different forms of signalling but here are two examples where sms via pstn is VERY good.

1. Customer has bells only system and r/a decides that is fine, to have sms alerts as an "extra" in the event of an alarm condition would cost nothing if the system does not trigger. In the event of an alarm consumers will be happy to pay 50p per text to know about it.
The alternative is a relatively costly gsm unit (£200+), monitoring (£60+p/a), or auto-dialler (£100+).

2. Customer has redcare gsm monitoring on his grade 3 alarm system. due to several regulations in place there is a strong likelyhood they will receive the text on their phone faster than the phone call from the alarm receiving centre, and in the event of the keyholder attending the premises having live text alerts of "new" alarm events could be extremely helpful.

In both of these situations the cost of the sms call is next to irrelevant.

Even for open close messages, many systems have just one user that sends open/close messages and just a few times a year, the sms via pstn system would cost just a few pounds per year to monitor that persons open/close messages, with no contracts or other costs than the 50p call (dropcall not pence per minute). There is no other service that can do that for the same cost.

Sponsored Links
Even for open close messages, many systems have just one user that sends open/close messages and just a few times a year, the sms via pstn system would cost just a few pounds per year to monitor that persons open/close messages, with no contracts or other costs than the 50p call (dropcall not pence per minute). There is no other service that can do that for the same cost.
£365+ per year, ouch

Galaxy IP based costs less than £50 for the Ethernet module and only £1 a month without the worry that failed calls could be racking up £'s on your phone bill without you knowing it.

Heard that opentelecom TAP has issues with the Galaxy panels too. Are Honeywell publishing the 50p a message number ?

And BTW, it's less than 3p to send SMS to UK mobile networks and that's not even bulk.

You guys are soooooo funny,

Galaxy IP Module £50 quid set up plus £1 per month...........
with contracts etc....

Sorry but I do not see how that matches up as a comparison.

Honeywell/galaxy panels had a problem with all the tap sms numbers the G2 panels needed a flash upgrade i think am unsure, thats their end our end works fine :)

Sponsored Links
.[/quote]
£365+ per year, ouch[/quote]

Crazy that you are looking to situations where it is not viable.....

There are many many where it is viable......

plus failed calls will NOT cost anything on the phone bill ofc

You guys are soooooo funny,

Galaxy IP Module £50 quid set up plus £1 per month...........
with contracts etc....

Sorry but I do not see how that matches up as a comparison.

Wrong. No contract. Just pay as you go £1 a month. That includes 20 free SMS too. Then it's only 5p per SMS. So our opening and closing where we have 60+ events per month is still viable.

Don't get me wrong, TAP has its place for old antiquated systems, but not for new tech. It's too open ended.

That funny enough for you ?

https://www.selfmon.co.uk/

Been using it since I moved in my new place start of the year, my system arms by final door and the text is at my phone before I get in the car. Time and time again. Totally configurable so now I have it notify me when anyone else except my fob unsets the system, all alarms, alerts. Even have the option of voice calls.

Genuinely cant recommend it enough. Also loving the android galaxy keypad app, so if theres any problems I can dial in on cameras see if anyone's around and then unset and reset system all from comfort of work van.

First few months where I had every event text me it cost about 3 quid a month, that was 2-3 sets/unsets per day every day for all month. If id chosen open telecom TAP that would have been £30.

Genuinely cant recommend it enough so far.

No contracts, just top up as and when you need.

Agreed ip signalling has it's place (i guess you have a ups aswell for power cuts? or the router will die and no transmission)

But in Texecoms own words ...... as a service based on costs it is unique.

There is no need for any specific panel (galaxy in your reference does not suit many installers/current alarm owners)

The £50 you quoted for the ip signalling device will surely cost a consumer much more, no alarm engineer will call out for less than that before any parts etc....

I agree with most that there are many forms of signalling that are much better than sms via pstn but the system is definately better than the unsupported vodafone sms centre, how many users do you think are using the voda one every day right now???

£365+ per year, ouch[/quote]

Crazy that you are looking to situations where it is not viable.....

There are many many where it is viable......

plus failed calls will NOT cost anything on the phone bill ofc[/quote]

I was thinking of O/C signals, nothing else.

I have the GSM module in my Texecom panel, which sends me an SMS when the alarm is set/unset. I also send it a status call occasionally when I'm away and it replies immediately.
It has never failed to get through promptly on any occasion. It's on PAYG so costs very little to run. I'm very pleased with it.
I wouldn't use the landline for the alarm because the cable is in a vulnerable position.

Although the GSM SMS solution may be perceived as more secure than a vulnerable land-line, it's still not that secure. You really need a polled / heartbeat service to ensure that the path hasn't been compromised.

Thing is, if someone is going to go to the lengths of jamming signals or cutting phone lines, they're probably going to be in, out and away before anyone can respond to any service.

Of course the GSM isn't secure against a professional thief equipped with a phone jammer, but I'm not expecting that sort of visitor - he'll be using his resources against a more lucrative target than my suburban semi.
The point I was making is that the actual signalling path is as reliable as I can get, and also very much cheaper that the 'professional' line-based option. I don't see that regular polling of the line is much use in a domestic situation since any local yob can pull the cable out of the wall on his way into the house, and be gone long before the line failure is noticed.

since any local yob can pull the cable out of the wall on his way into the house, and be gone long before the line failure is noticed.
It is possible ( in some alarms ) for the alarm system to detect the loss of the telephone line and go into an alarm mode within seconds of the line being cut.

Yes I'm aware of that. But since our BT line has failed repeatedly I would not want that number of spurious alarms.

Hmmmmmmm

That all depends on the "risk"

If he is protecting his sons lego from his daughter then your suggestion may be a bit OTT,

If he is protecting a jewellers with contents exceeding millions of pounds then your suggestions may not be enough ;)

And although the texe gsm product is very good it is not to be compared to the sms via pstn option as it needs gsm signal, and the initial outlay of the gsm unit.

SORRY SCRAP MOST OF THAT I SHOULD HAVE READ MORE.....SORRY

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back