Texecom veritas excel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a problem with one of my pir sensors which stopped working, when I had a look I found no voltage getting to the sensor but there is voltage at the cable terminals in the control pannel so I suspect a cable fault,
How can I stop the bell box alarm sounding when I disconnect battery from control pannel as the bell box is high up on the side of the house

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you disconnect the wires from the terminal block in the panel then the wires will be dead ( isolated ) and what ever you do to them you will not blow the fuse on the panel while they are not connected to the panel.

Sponsored Links
Had any work done or new carpet fitted around the faulty detector ?

No thats the strange thing about it, I will have to have a closer look but when I checked it with multi meter I was getting no voltage at sensor end and getting voltage at cable terminal in control panel.

If you disconnect the wires from the terminal block in the panel then the wires will be dead ( isolated ) and what ever you do to them you will not blow the fuse on the panel while they are not connected to the panel.

Yes I hear what your saying, but I would of thought there was still a risk of it flashing across the connection while disconnecting or connecting to a live terminal, but maybe a risk worth taking considering the alternative of getting up to the bell box and disconnecting its battery.

Separate fuse for detector supply on a veritas excel , so if you blew it it wouldn't matter .

just about every manufacture do a white and blue bell box and the shapes of some are very similar.

How did you notice it had stopped working out of interest, and where does the cable run?

Do you have any spare cores?

If your other powered detectors are working, and theres no power at the pir that isn't working, sounds like a break in the cable but its not shorted, if was shorted then it would have taken out your other powered detectors.

If the cable or system has not been interfered with by human hand, then the cable could be damaged indirectly depending on where it runs (cable getting trapped/ rubbed) or you may have rodents having a chew?.

Put panel into engineering mode if possible, if you don't know the engineer code then turn mains off remove cover and silence tamper alarm with your user code.
If you disconnect the battery at this stage the outside sounder should activate. So you could remove the AUX fuse (if you have the older style panel with glass fuses) off memory I think it's F3
If you know what zone the PIR is on it should be simple enough to see which pair feed power to that PIR.
Make a note of which wire goes to what terminal before you remove anything, remove the power feeds to the PIR, remove the cover from the PIR and again making note of the + / - connections disconnect the power feeds.

Twist them together at one end and at the other test for continuity with either a multimeter or a battery and bulb.

It will show if there is a break in the wires. You could also check if there is any shorting across the mains to any of the other cores, this is unlikley as it would probably have caused other problems such as a blown fuse or triggered an alarm.

Do this simple test to establish whether or not there is a break in the cable then post back with your findings

assuming they tested the correct cables and the correct terminals initially for power then there would be no need to do the continuity check, but agreed its a good idea and a quick test. Just need to make sure the correct cables are twisted at one end and tested at the other.

it is indeed F3.

assuming they tested the correct cables and the correct terminals initially for power then there would be no need to do the continuity check, but agreed its a good idea and a quick test. Just need to make sure the correct cables are twisted at one end and tested at the other.

it is indeed F3.

Sometimes I just go back to "Belt and Braces" and double check just to satisfy myself.

Remember the quote from Sir Arthur Conan Doyles, Sherlock Holmes The Sign of Four.

“When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever else remains, however improbable, must be the truth”

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back