Textured exterior paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening

I have what I am fairly certain is textured waterproof 'breathable' paint on the exterior of a house I have just bought and I think I want to get it off. I say I think, it may be more cost effective to repraint. Anyway has anyone any experience of taking this off? After a bit of googling there seems to be a suggestion about sand/shot blasting it off or using chemicals.
I am assuming it is brick below it which I would like exposed. The chemical approach seems to need power washing.
It would also be useful if you could give a rough guide to costs if you have any idea. It is a 4 bed detached.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
There may have been a good reason it was put on in the first place - it could be hiding some horrible problem like unmatching bricks.

Is there any evidence of building repairs which may have been covered up with this textured stuff?

Having you tried simply scraping some off (in a discreet place which could be touched up easily if it all goes horribly wrong)?

Have seen houses sandblasted, and they do come up well.

Don't know if any sealing is required afterwards, but it could only help I suppose.

Also seen a large area of graffitti removed by chemicals, again the whole wall cleaned up very nicely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back