Thatcher

Sadly Norcon is unable to count, and does not know what a "dozen" is.

If he had the wit to look up UK's VAT rates, he would have found:

"Conservative Chancellor Geoffrey Howe increased the standard rate of VAT from 8% to 15% .... The rate remained unchanged until 1991, when Conservative Chancellor Norman Lamont increased it from 15% to 17.5%.

During the 1992 general election the Conservatives promised not to extend the scope of VAT, but, in March 1993, Lamont announced that domestic fuel and power, which had previously been zero-rated, would have VAT levied at 8% from April 1994 and the full 17.5% from April 1995"

Sweetly done:cool:

Sponsored Links
Crazy economic policies based on a poor understanding of the Monetarist doctrine, leading to high interest rates, which crushed industry....

...Trebling unemployment ...

.....Wiping out Britain's manufacturing and engineering heartland

Norcon is seemingly incapable of connecting Cause and Effect

Evidence?

Crazy economic policies based on a poor understanding of the Monetarist doctrine, leading to high interest rates, which crushed industry and, through 15% mortgages, drove many young homeowners into bankruptcy and homelessness.

Abolishing democratically elected councils and seizing their property, selling off much of it.

Trebling unemployment

Doubling VAT

Wiping out Britain's manufacturing and engineering heartland

Tearing the railway system to shreds

You are still claiming that these statements are "nonsense?"

You are an ignorant fool.

Crazy economic policies based on a poor understanding of the Monetarist doctrine, leading to high interest rates, which crushed industry and, through 15% mortgages, drove many young homeowners into bankruptcy and homelessness.

Abolishing democratically elected councils and seizing their property, selling off much of it.

Trebling unemployment

Doubling VAT

Have you any evidence that proves thatcher destroyed the coal mining industry?

Sponsored Links
Show me your evidence that she did not double VAT, or treble unemployment. Why should I be the only one to do any work?

Trebling unemployment

Doubling VAT

No.. you are claiming that I'm still claiming that they are nonsense.
You are the ignorant fool.

Show me your evidence that she did not double VAT, or treble unemployment. Why should I be the only one to do any work?

Your the one claiming that thatcher destroyed the coal mining industry.

Why do you make a claim without evidence?

"Tearing the railway system to shreds"

Where is your evidence for that nonsense?

Poor old Norcon

A rabid right-winger who can't even attempt to justify himself.

At the time, Scargill said that the government had a long-term strategy to close over 70 pits. Not only did the Government deny this but MacGregor went on to write to every member of the NUM claiming Scargill was deceiving them by making this allegation and that there were no plans to close any more pits than had already been announced. Cabinet Papers released in 2014 indicate that MacGregor did indeed wish to close 75 pits

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25549596

Cabinet Papers were released in 2014

"The government and National Coal Board said at the time they wanted to close 20. But the documents reveal a plan to shut 75 mines."

Poor ole jd has to link to the left wing bbc in a desperate attempt to try and prove thatcher destroyed the coal mining industry.

" By 1984 it cost £44 to mine a metric ton of British coal. America, Australia, and South Africa were selling it on the world market for £32 a metric ton."

:LOL:

By 1974 coal accounted for less than one third of energy consumption in Britain.
:LOL:

264 pits closed between 1957 and 1963. 346,000 miners left the industry between 1963 and 1968. In 1967 alone there were 12,900 forced redundancies. Under Harold Wilson one pit closed every week.

By 1970, when the Conservatives were elected, there were just 300 pits left – a fall of two thirds in 25 years.

So a fall of two thirds by 1970 and thatcher gets the blame for destroying the coal mining industry.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The thing with the NCB was, Each area had a certain amount of pits/mines, and each area was expected to make certain "profits." As an unprofitable pit was shut, the profits for that area were not reduced, so this made more pits unprofitable (as others closed)
Arthur Scargill himself, has taken on the NUM, (3 years ago) who refused to continue paying the rent on his flat in the Barbican, London.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/dec/21/arthur-scargill-battle-union-flat

I wonder about these union leaders who lead a union out on strike though.. Do these leaders have their wages stopped whilst the membership is out on strike? I very much doubt it. So you see, the miners lost £thousands in pay, and all the time Arthur was cosy in the knowledge his wages were safe. ;) ;)

Thatcher was an utter cnt. I wish there was a hell for her to burn in. Alongside Blair when he snuffs it. (sooner the better)

What was left of the coal mining industry by 1970 was being propped up by millions of pounds of subsidies.
Thatcher did the right thing and pulled the rug from underneath it.

I'm biased {snipt} John Pilger on his web site gives some interesting info (who is also biased).

Pretty much sums up Maggie haters.

No point asking them to do research, because they will only click on the articles that prove their bias.

Trebling unemployment

Doubling VAT

Another example of Maggie hate.

Each and every one of these examples would require hours of study to actually appreciate the events leading up to them, and the rationale for the decisions made, then a further analysis of their sense and outcomes

And you would have to analysis it fairly, without the bias of hindsight. For example *some* of the railways should not have been closed, but that is only apparent 30 years after the event due to changes unknown and unforeseeable at the time.

But for Maggie haters it is enough to say these things are bad / they happened under her term = Maggie is bad and her policies were bad.

Crazy economic policies based on a poor understanding of the Monetarist doctrine

Those are some big words you copied and pasted there....

Sponsored Links
Back