The Boat Race(s)

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the men's race this year, Oxford's team contained 4 out of 8 foreign imports, whilst Cambridge had no less than 7 out of 8 foreigners - only ONE Brit!

Didn't do them much good, though! :LOL:

Timing:

0 min - 34 min = Talking about it = 34 min
34 min - 55 min = Women's race = 21 min
55 min - 96 min = Talking about it = 41 min
96 min - 125 min = Men's race = 29 min
125 min - 140 min = Talking about it = 15 min

The races = 50 min
Talking about it = 90 min

The BBC appear to be even more verbose than Dropclanger!

Sponsored Links
I think the Grand national beats the talk/event ratio.

But perhaps the Men's Olympic 100m is the winner?

In the men's race this year, Oxford's team contained 4 out of 8 foreign imports, whilst Cambridge had no less than 7 out of 8 foreigners - only ONE Brit!

Didn't do them much good, though! :LOL:

Timing:

0 min - 34 min = Talking about it = 34 min
34 min - 55 min = Women's race = 21 min
55 min - 96 min = Talking about it = 41 min
96 min - 125 min = Men's race = 29 min
125 min - 140 min = Talking about it = 15 min

The races = 50 min
Talking about it = 90 min

The BBC appear to be even more verbose than Dropclanger!

I believe that the national squad don't like this race as it interferes with their training programme for international events and qualifiers.

Also I imagine there is a high percentage of foreign students at those Universities?

Sponsored Links
Most UK Universities need Foriegn Students to keep the Unversities solvent and keep going

So its only logical that to pick a selection of top sports athletes the majority will be foriegn .

Most UK Universities need Foriegn Students to keep the Unversities solvent and keep going

So its only logical that to pick a selection of top sports athletes the majority will be foriegn .

That was my point! Why are foreign sportsmen preferable to our own, especially in the Cambridge crew? Is this another example of our own athletes not being up to the competition?

Reports in the news suggest that one problem is lack of competition in schools because 'everybody has to be seen to be equal', and another that schools don't concentrate enough on competitive sports.

Or is it something else: lack of fitness in our general population? Mind you, when it comes to fatties, I'm given to understand that the Americans leave us standing!

That was my point! Why are foreign sportsmen preferable to our own, especially in the Cambridge crew? Is this another example of our own athletes not being up to the competition?

Reports in the news suggest that one problem is lack of competition in schools because 'everybody has to be seen to be equal', and another that schools don't concentrate enough on competitive sports.

Or is it something else: lack of fitness in our general population? Mind you, when it comes to fatties, I'm given to understand that the Americans leave us standing!

It's the case in schools now that schools do competitive sports, contrary to populate belief but

1) children don't do much informal sport
2) many teachers don't have time /too much red tape to do more inter school competition

I do think we are less fit though.

As for the oarsmen, the elite British may not take part in Blues races for the reason I gave above.

You also have the possibility that colleges arrange for foreign students to come if they are good at rowing!

It's the case in schools now that schools do competitive sports, contrary to populate belief but

1) children don't do much informal sport
2) many teachers don't have time /too much red tape to do more inter school competition

I do think we are less fit though.
not convinced about 2)

However, imho there are several problems

● it's uncool for youngsters to do owt non electronic
● we're paranoid about deviants picking up our kids
● public transport is rubbish given the alternatives
● tv is too good, so why bother going out

People who break these rules are the exception and not the norm.

I always thought that the whole point of the boat race and the only thing that gives it national attention was it's tradition.
If it becomes just two teams of foreigners racing against each other what's the point?
Who won anyway?

Both teams from Oxford won their races though I think the womens race was a closer affair than the mens.

Regarding selecting foreigners, a comment was made yesterday that a lot of the colleges, from both universities, considered sporting achievements when selecting candidates, but one of them, (from Oxford I think), didn't consider this aspect of any applicant. However, if you were a high ranking sports person who managed to secure a place at the college you still had to study other subjects and attain high grades each term or you would not be selected for a team.

I always thought that the whole point of the boat race and the only thing that gives it national attention was it's tradition.
If it becomes just two teams of foreigners racing against each other what's the point?
Who won anyway?

The one with the fewer number of foreigners, surprisingly!

Both teams from Oxford won their races though I think the womens race was a closer affair than the mens.

Regarding selecting foreigners, a comment was made yesterday that a lot of the colleges, from both universities, considered sporting achievements when selecting candidates, but one of them, (from Oxford I think), didn't consider this aspect of any applicant. However, if you were a high ranking sports person who managed to secure a place at the college you still had to study other subjects and attain high grades each term or you would not be selected for a team.

Sounds like one-upmanship to me! Fair play to the Oxford college, though. That, in my opinion, is the correct attitude.
Which Oxford college was it?

Sponsored Links
Back