The dangers of F1

While i'm sure the money is a very nice bonus I doubt it's the primary motivator for the drivers. While top-level racing drivers are well-paid at lower levels motor racing is a very expensive hobby.

I suspect the main motivations of the drivers are a combination of competitiveness and thrill-seeking.

Sponsored Links
Yeah let's dumb down the pinnacle of motor racing eh.

Only race when it's not wet, not windy, and only on clear sunny days.

Limit their speed and put big soft cotton wool barriers all around the track too.

Let them stop for drinks breaks and wee wee breaks too. Maybe throw in a little sleep break also.

Oh and some traffic lights and single lane cones too. :rolleyes:

Yeah let's dumb down the pinnacle of motor racing eh.

Only race when it's not wet, not windy, and only on clear sunny days.

Limit their speed and put big soft cotton wool barriers all around the track too.

Let them stop for drinks breaks and wee wee breaks too. Maybe throw in a little sleep break also.

Oh and some traffic lights and single lane cones too. :rolleyes:

Never thought I'd agree with you Noseall.

Its a dangerous sport. Freak accident it may be, but (as said) ragging around wet track at high speed causes accidents. Not nice watching that crash though - he must have aquaplaned as he showed no signs of a spin - I doubt he would have seen double yellow flags due to visability. A metre or 2 to the left, he'd have been decapitated IMO.

Sponsored Links
Why were workmen out on the track with a telehandler with the race in progress?

You wouldn't even see that carelessness at a car rally. At least not here in the province.

to remove the car from a dangerous bend.
wasnt the safety car out whilst this was going on?
wasnt the flags being shown?
was he trying to gain position under said safety car/flags??

Amazingly intact from this angle- visor etc given the hammering at the opposite side.

... there is a cockpit display with red, blue and yellow lights which informs the driver about any warning flags being waved around the circuit as well as bright lights at the side of the race track, in addition to the flag marshalling system. ...

But even a sedentary 100kph is some 91ft/sec on worn inters in wet, wet. Potentially out of control...

-0-

I must admit I was surprised by the photo - when you consider that the entire airbox and roll bar structure has been torn off below the driver's head level.

What surprises me is that the flag marshall in the tower at the beginning of that video is showing a waved GREEN flag. It might be that it was green for the track AFTER the tower and the incident but cars approaching the incident should not be seeing green until they are past the incident.

F1 and motor sports in general are relatively safe, a few years ago Troy Corsers bike exploded in a fireball so he just jumped off at 120mph with no injuries, horse riding on the other hand has more fatalities than all the motor sports put together. I wouldn't be surprised if the horse was responsible for more deaths than any other animal..

I am also surprised to see he wasn't decapitated, lucky but not at the same time. I wish him a speedy full recovery.

Anyway, if F1 was too safe it wouldn't be a thrill to partake or spectate.

Its worth noting many F1 or similar drivers succumb to death or injury from other non related sports/activities, Andrea De Cesaris sadly the most recent one of these, but the list is considerable, not to mention Michael Schumacher. They all have the same desire to push way beyond the boundaries.

What surprises me is that the flag marshall in the tower at the beginning of that video is showing a waved GREEN flag. It might be that it was green for the track AFTER the tower and the incident but cars approaching the incident should not be seeing green until they are past the incident.
They all know - physically after the waved flag they have cleared the current problem point.
-0-

Most people watch motorsport to see crashes, but generally I guess with the hope it's spectacular, but doesn't injure the driver / co-driver. Personally I'd love to see a formula 0 ...... no non-safety rules.... might be interesting, if messy!

My brother always says that he wants to see performance-enhanced athletics, just to see how quick they could really be.
Although I have a feeling, we already are........

Most people watch motorsport to see crashes, but generally I guess with the hope it's spectacular, but doesn't injure the driver / co-driver. Personally I'd love to see a formula 0 ...... no non-safety rules.... might be interesting, if messy!

Personally I don't. I like the overtaking, the air boiling off the rear wing and the reactions drivers and teams make. Crashes are either boring or in this case, probably career ending. I cannot see any enjoyment in that personally.

No non-safety rules? So everything safety related?

Sponsored Links
Back