The doors to short!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

When I moved into the house there was a problem with the bathroom door shutting. It would shut just not stay shut as the only thing which would keep it should was the bolt from the lock. To keep it shut without the use of the lock now I have put another plate on the frame which has been pushed out by a small piece of wood. This now holds the door in place but looks ridiculous.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
You may be able to pack the hinges out James, but I'm sure we would like to see a picture of this one.
Presumably the door isn't wide enough now for the catch to hold?
John :)

I did think of that but I wasn't sure it it would hold since its a heavy door.

I have attached a picture of the issue in question. Please let me know if you need anything else.

James 20150823_180409.jpg
20150823_180409.jpg

I see, you have packed out the keep to allow the catch to hold.
The hinges will be set into rebates......how about filling those rebates with 3mm ply, carefully fitted, and then passing the hinge screws right through?
It'll hold, all right.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I think I know you mean however I am not sure what a rebate is?

I presume you mean taking the door off and putting the 3mm ply behind the hinges to bring the door forward and then screwing the hinges through the ply and back into the wall? Remove the packing and put everything in its normal place?

Is that what you mean?

Thanks

James

Ahhh brilliant thank you I was thinking I was going to have to have it all done again I am doing it in preparation for selling the house so hence I want to be able to do it properly :)

Thank You

James

No need to remove the door, you can simply loosen the screws a little , open door and it will sag forward, pack space behind loose hinge with a sliver or card and tighten hinge.Make sure packing goes behind the hinge pin section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back