The end of the world

Sponsored Links
I always thought that the mass extinctions that took place millions of years ago were caused by asteroid impacts with the earth. There was one in the Gulf of Mexico which caused mass extinction.
Personally I think this report is just scaremongering of the highest order.

Edit, I see there is no evidence for mass extinction being caused by methane bubbles. It's called "Ryskin’s methane extinction theory"

Exactly ,,, It's a THEORY

and even if it is true what are you going to do about it? :rolleyes:

It's a THEORY
;) Theories are wonderful things.

I have a theory that ALL Personal Computers, Laptops etc are Female. They work perfectly every time you want them too... but sometimes they just don't feel like it!

Sponsored Links
It's a THEORY
;) Theories are wonderful things.

I have a theory that ALL Personal Computers, Laptops etc are Female. They work perfectly every time you want them too... but sometimes they just don't feel like it!

:?: They rarely Google without a lot of persuasion,
and as for a Facebook, forget it.
All they want is a good hard drive, :D

I never listen to "experts", An "EX" is a has been and a "SPURT" is a little drip

I only asked because I was thinking of booking a winter cruise.

We are supposed to be heading for something big in world events and every such type of article does nothing to divert ones mind from 2012 etc.
What crossed my mind while reading the article is the men who are working to contain this leak. The oil company`s history of the expendability of humans is well documented and with the media blackout we will never know the true cost of life so far in this disaster.

http://www.helium.com/items/1882339...-have-triggered-a-world-killing-event[/QUOTE]

what a load of scaremongering tosh !!!!!

we've been drilling into the Earth for a long time....why is this leak any different? And if the Earth is full of methane.. why aren't we just floating around in space?... ah! :oops: hmm! :confused:

but seriously... any of the thousands of earthquakes that happpen quite regularly could do far worse than this incident... or a meteorite strike.... we have no idea when that will happen...

as for the loss of life....as bad as it is.. i think the devastation of the rain forests is destroying much more life...

There's something about that report that rings true. I heard on the news that they are delaying putting that new cap on the pipe as there was some kind of leakage elsewhere that would blow if it wasn't sealed. Recent footage of the oil leak shows a much lighter and much faster emission - and I guess that must be because the ratio of oil and methane is changing. Something down there is seriously not right and that's why Obama is getting so het up about it all.

If you think about the leak as a broken water main then the leak starts small but gets bigger and bigger. You can't block the original leak as it just bursts out more and more until it goes like one big geyser. There's something wrong that we don't know about - which is why all efforts to cap it have failed. My guess is that the entire pipe from the oil up to the bottom of the ocean is breaking up. I've heard that the hole is 10km deep!

Even if this thing is finally capped - what of the future? As oil becomes scarcer we have to drill deeper and deeper - but can we risk the same thing happening again?

Think of a child's balloon - it's really tough until a sharp object pierces it - then bang. I think BP have just pierced that balloon.

:eek:

There's something about that report that rings true. I heard on the news that they are delaying putting that new cap on the pipe as there was some kind of leakage elsewhere that would blow if it wasn't sealed. Recent footage of the oil leak shows a much lighter and much faster emission - and I guess that must be because the ratio of oil and methane is changing. Something down there is seriously not right and that's why Obama is getting so het up about it all.

If you think about the leak as a broken water main then the leak starts small but gets bigger and bigger. You can't block the original leak as it just bursts out more and more until it goes like one big geyser. There's something wrong that we don't know about - which is why all efforts to cap it have failed. My guess is that the entire pipe from the oil up to the bottom of the ocean is breaking up. I've heard that the hole is 10km deep!

Even if this thing is finally capped - what of the future? As oil becomes scarcer we have to drill deeper and deeper - but can we risk the same thing happening again?

Think of a child's balloon - it's really tough until a sharp object pierces it - then bang. I think BP have just pierced that balloon.

:eek:

Joe it doesn't matter what you think... if the methane bubble (alleged to exist) burst tonight and suffocated us all tonight.. what's it matter?

if it doesn't burst... you have put a small doubt/worry in a few peoples' minds and had a negative effect on their lives , yet you feel slightly more smug for being a cleverclogs !!!

I have read and heard that there is no shortage of oil, there is apparently loads of it left in that area.

Ocean surface to sea floor - 5000ft,
Sea floor to oil - 25,000 - 30,000 ft.

But the whole sea bed is fractured and leaking oil. Some reports say it's bulging.

The pressure in a normal well is about 1500psi.
This one is somewhere between 20,000psi and 70,000psi.

Or have I been listening to the wrong outlet?

Oh it's ok. the Beeb has just told us it's all sorted. Phew, can sleep easy tonight.

If there is any truth in reports that the sea floor is rising and rupturing, then it is doing so from 10 kilometres down. The pressure involved in raising the seabed would be unimaginable. That sort of pressure cannot be restrained and like a burst water-main - it will surely erupt. If it does, and massive amounts of methane are released then imagine what will happen. Methane is natural gas - the stuff you burn in your boiler and the stuff that blows up houses. If trillions of cubic metres are released then the first lightening bolt will ignite the biggest air/fuel bomb in the history of the Earth. All the available oxygen would be sucked out of the air in one giant global fireball. Life would end for human kind. Of that there is no doubt. If those reports are true - then BP has just drilled into the depths of hell. :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back