The hunt for materials...Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,
I have just recently revived my old garage and turned it in to a workshop having invested in some larger power tools.
I used to build project cars in there but lost the mojo with it and my desire to create things is coming out in the form of woodworking (or it's an age thing).
So, on that note, I want to do my own first project (discounting the workbenches and the like that I have done for the garage) in the form of a bespoke bookcase for my wife.
I have drawn up some nice plans and know what I need... aannnndd that's where I have hit a roadblock... where to get the materials.
Ideally I want to use some Oak veneer plywood in 3/4" and 1/4" sheets but locally it's a dead end.
Is there anyone that has a source or has history of buying such materials and could point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you tried googling? I'll bet theres many online suppliers of just what you want. B&q may also do it in smaller sheets. Could you veneer plywood yourself? A few clamps and glue.

Have you tried googling? I'll bet theres many online suppliers of just what you want. B&q may also do it in smaller sheets. Could you veneer plywood yourself? A few clamps and glue.

I did google but most suppliers didn't either have prices or they didn't offer delivery to my location. Not sure about self veneerig.

Get a list exactly what you need and ring round local independents for prices imo.

Sponsored Links
If you go to a good timber merchants they will be able to get you a price and source the materials you need.

I have two timber merchants near me and they have been very helpful in the past.

Years ago I bought some veneered chipboard and made shelves with it - from a Great Mills DIY shed

Recently I searched for veneered ply to build replacements and hit a wall as well

The best I could find was whole sheets from Arnold laver which I think were special order

if you really mean veneered ply, all ply is veneered.

you can get hardwood-faced ply easily enough. Almost the best is Marine Ply why has selected good quality veneers. AFAIK it is almost always faced with red tropical hardwood.

The boatbuilding trade uses various decorative boards, but they will be expensive, and there may not be a stockholder near you.

Last edited:
WanderOverYonder, good evening

How about you Google oak Veneered "Blockboard?" or? Laminated oak Boards? or Oak veneered Chipboard

I have purchased Oak Boarding from B+Q which comes in limited lengths and widths, it is made from Finger Jointed small pieces of Off cuts of Oak that are machined together but they aint cheap. Then again solid Oak aint cheap.

Ken.

hills panels products (hpp) in Oldham Lancashire.
I've had 10x8 oak faced mdf off them in the past.

0161 628 6100

As above any decent timber merchants should be able to source that for you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back