The Latches of a Thousand Hells...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please excuse my terminology (Or lack there of) - I'm trying to figure out a problem and hoping someone on here could help me, as my Carpenters solutions aren't really what I'm looking for...

I bought the doors for my new house today, then went to buy hinges and door handles - Fine - However my Carpenter says that the only latch that will work is one of those old timey gate lock things... I want to say suffolk lock? The ones you had in old cottages. This is because the wood isn't thick enough (I think) He said something about how the latch would be a minimum of 25mm and really we'd need something about 15mm to work.

I don't want this suffolk lock things, I want a normal door handle!

His solution is that he can put some wood on the back of the handle to bulk it out so that we can fit the latch properly, either so that it's discreet (but not quite invisible) or some fancy design (which I don't particularly want)

Anyway, if anyone has the slightest idea what I'm talking about (because I don't...) And knows where I can buy some 15mm latches or has a better idea of how to fit it then please help!!

Edit:

Oh, and cupboard latches won't work I don't think...I think we discussed that and we decided it wouldn't work... the doors are really heavy oak...

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I don't want a lock though, these are for my bedrooms doors and lounge door...

Sponsored Links
I am guessing that these are L&B doors, not LB&F. Perhaps it is a cottage or farmhouse style.

It would be interesting to see photos of both sides of the doors.

Sounds like you've bought gates not doors :rolleyes:

Perhaps a fancy rim latch or something ....
1x-patent-rim-latch-top-400.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back