The latest anti-UKIP 'documentary'

Aristotle referred to Great Britain as Albion and Ireland as Ierne but both Islands were collectively known as the Pretanic Islands , that was around 350BC.

The whole lot collectively are still referred to as 'The British Isles', although that is a geographical term and has no political importance.

Sponsored Links
I blame the schools, this should be standard fare, surely ?

Does anyone here remember doing geography or history?
Oi. We teach what we're told to teach. This doesn't include everything there is to know about everything :confused:

With respect to teachers, those who do set the syllabus should concentrate more on basic spelling, grammar, punctuation and, of course, basic arithmetic.

Your average kid probably thinks 'British Isles' is a Sainsbury's hypermarket in Calais..........

Aristotle referred to Great Britain as Albion and Ireland as Ierne but both Islands were collectively known as the Pretanic Islands , that was around 350BC.

The whole lot collectively are still referred to as 'The British Isles', although that is a geographical term and has no political importance.

Agreed geographical, but it is politically loaded!

Sponsored Links

Oi. We teach what we're told to teach. This doesn't include everything there is to know about everything :confused:

With respect to teachers, those who do set the syllabus should concentrate more on basic spelling, grammar, punctuation and, of course, basic arithmetic.

When I first started, teachers were much more at liberty to teach what they thought best. Personally, I have always maintained that English language and maths are the two subjects that should take the highest priority, certainly at primary level.

Then the government brought in the National Curriculum and appointed 'experts' to tell us what to teach and how to teach it, and education in this country has been in decline ever since. Shortly afterwards, a number of 'mickey mouse' subjects appeared including PSHE (Google it), which is basically what parents used to teach their own children as a normal part of growing up. Consequently, less and less time became available to teach the important stuff.

I believe that the NC was put in place to counteract a small minority of schools that weren't quite up to standard. What is has done is tie teachers' hands and create a much larger proportion of schools that do not make the grade.

When I first started, teachers were much more at liberty to teach what they thought best. Personally, I have always maintained that English language and maths are the two subjects that should take the highest priority, certainly at primary level.

Then the government brought in the National Curriculum and appointed 'experts' to tell us what to teach and how to teach it, and education in this country has been in decline ever since. Shortly afterwards, a number of 'mickey mouse' subjects appeared including PSHE (Google it), which is basically what parents used to teach their own children as a normal part of growing up. Consequently, less and less time became available to teach the important stuff.

I believe that the NC was put in place to counteract a small minority of schools that weren't quite up to standard. What is has done is tie teachers' hands and create a much larger proportion of schools that do not make the grade.

I agree . Teachers should be trusted.

No NC in Finland, and they consistently top the ratings .And they are doing away with subjects and looking at 'Phenomenon Learning' !

on a more general look at the modern exam methods, if I am correct, and no doubt I will be corrected if Incorrect, a Student can take a load of Re-Sits to attain an HNC in whatever because the present day ONC / HNC / HND as I understand it can be attained by successfully passing a series of modules. As I understand things a Student can have multiple attempts at attaining a Module?

When I attained an ONC then HNC and a handful of City and Guilds, having attended a college for one day per week for two years for both the ONC and HNC there was a final One Off Exam, no course work, just a Final Exam in Four Subjects, I cannot recall the pass mark, but I think it was about 70%

Much of the above using Slide rules / log Tables those things I really enjoyed especially the Slide Rule. the Slide Rule can be very fast and accurate.

A couple of years ago I met a third year Structural Engineering Student and mentioned that I could never get my head around the so called First and Second moments of inertia of a column? I was met with a blank stare by the Student and the comment that the Computer did that bit, whatever it was for him?

Finally, the College I went to is now classed as a University, I suppose this means that I could be said to have attended a UNIVERSITY?

Ken

Sponsored Links
Back