The next step of the drawing plans details

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When my new build drawings plans was granted without measurements but just in scaled drawing details, now I have sent the update drawing plans with the full measurements and materials details to the Local Building Control for their approval,

I'm assuming this is the correct way of proceeding before the new build or should it be done by either the Local Building Control or BBS Building Control once I paid their fee?

Sponsored Links
You need to clarify what you are talking about!

Planning permission and Building Control are separate issues. A new build needs planning permission and once granted you go ahead subject to any conditions attached to the approval. - What you build should be what you submitted for approval, not something of a different size so beware about changing the scale of the development if that is in your mind.

The construction itself is what Building Control is interested in and full plan approval may well be granted even if the building is twice the size - However if you build something different, Planning will later ask you to tear it down and rebuild to what they approved.

I have simplified the issues so if you are not sure get professional advice.

You need to clarify what you are talking about!
I'm confused what I have written :)

In a nutshell, the plans passed and now I've paid the architect for the measurements (eg footing width & depth etc) and all construction details on the updated plans, I'm assuming this now go back to planning for their further approval :?:

In a nutshell, the plans passed and now I've paid the architect for the measurements (eg footing width & depth etc) and all construction details on the updated plans, I'm assuming this now go back to planning for their further approval :?:

Once you've got full planning permission then no further PLANNING approval is required.

Have you submitted a BUILDING CONTROL application though? That will need detailed construction drawings, specification and calculations.

Sponsored Links
Have you submitted a BUILDING CONTROL application though? That will need detailed construction drawings, specification and calculations.
I have sent them my drawings to the Planning Registration Team via email attachments and I guessing this is not the correct way?

Yeah, Building Regs drawings need to go to either the Local Authority's Building Control Department or to an Approved Inspector (if you want to go down that route). I doubt that the Planning Department even know where the Building Control Department is!

When my new build drawings plans was granted without measurements

now I have sent the update drawing plans with the full measurements and materials

I don't understand this.

What was granted without measurements?

What are update drawings - amended, updated, revised, different?

And sent to who?

You can't just send drawings, there is a fee involved and drawings are not accepted without the fee.

Okay I start again, I know I wasn't clear on this!

Here's the drawing plans that was submitted which now have been awarded Grant Conditional Permission

http://www.docdroid.net/97l5/img-0001.pdf.html with no building regs details on it

My architect have now updated the drawing plans with all the building regs and construction details on it and I'm guessing the Building Control Office need to see this for their approval?

Yes, if you now have planning permission, then that is permission to build.

You now need building regulation approval, which is effectively permission how to build.

You either apply to the council's building control team, or a private company. Each does the same function - check your plans for compliance and issue approval of those plans, and then they do the four or five site inspection checks. You need to send the plans with the fee for plan checking. You will be invoiced a further fee for the site inspections when you start the work

Why is your architect not doing all this for you?

Yes, if you now have planning permission, then that is permission to build.

You now need building regulation approval, which is effectively permission how to build.

You either apply to the council's building control team, or a private company. Each does the same function - check your plans for compliance and issue approval of those plans, and then they do the four or five site inspection checks. You need to send the plans with the fee for plan checking. You will be invoiced a further fee for the site inspections when you start the work

Why is your architect not doing all this for you?
Thanks Woody, I wouldn't go back to him in the future again!

I now have to show the building control the line up of the sewage, foul and water surface details, does that get updated onto the drawing plans later or have to be done before I send it for the building regulation approval?

And I understand I have to submit an application to the Anglia Water company

I'm a little confused, the Building Control and Anglia Water need to see the sewerage line up? I don't understand why does the Building Control need the information when it's Anglia Water approval?

You can show the drain layout on your main drawings or on a separate drawing showing just the drains. But you need to show existing and new drains and how they are to be connected, and if the rainwater is to go to a new soakaway rather than the existing rainwater drain.

There is a very recent thread on applying for the water authorities permission to build over or close to public sewers. There is information in that thread about who owns the sewer or drain.

Building control have a duty to ensure that the new work does not damage existing drains (part of their role to safeguard public health) but there is other legislation regarding protection of public sewers which are owned by the water authority.

That's why there is an overlap of permissions regarding building by drains

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back