"The Scots, A nation of cultural ghosts" - What sa

S

Shutpa

While reading politics almost 50 years ago at uni, I came across the subject statement in one of the prescribed texts. I believe is was from one of Walter Bagehots works, perhaps the " The British (or English) Constitution". Anyway, it would seem to me, that every person who calls himself a 'Scot', is indeed a cultural ghost.They live in a tiny part of the UK or Britain, are British as far as their passports are concerned, and yet, for some reason deem themselves to be 'Scots'. Get real guys, the haunting season is over, so go to sleep as a 'Scot' , forget the referendom, and rejoice in the fact that you are British from the inside out!!!!!!!! A Scot?? Humbug.

Sponsored Links
Subject should have read, - "The Scots, A nation of cultural ghosts" - What say you??"

Old traditions die hard.
But come September, Scots need to consider why they became part of the Union in the first place.
Salmond may want to go down in history as the man who brought Scotland to independance, but in an uncertain world, nations need to be bigger, not smaller.

Sponsored Links
.They live in a tiny part of the UK.

Yes a mere 32% of it. :LOL:

Depends how you view it, urban areas are only 1-2% of scotlands land, 2% out of 32% isnt much.

And there is talk about the shetland isles wanting independance from scotland, which will be 1% of 2% out of 32%, meh.

Personally I don't care about independance either way, but from the point of scottishness it does seem daft, like trying to reanimate the dead corpse of Gaelic language, may as well bring back the druids while your at it.

I wish people would stop worrying. The Scots are not going to vote for independence; they're more sensible than that.

All it is, is Salmon and a few other odd people trying to go on a power trip.

Old traditions die hard.
But come September, Scots need to consider why they became part of the Union in the first place.
Salmond may want to go down in history as the man who brought Scotland to independance, but in an uncertain world, nations need to be bigger, not smaller.

The Alien Act of 1705, passed by the English parliament was a primary reason for the union. An act designed explicitly as a form of economic warfare. Great reason for us to stay together :mrgreen: There were riots the length and breadth of the country when the treaty of union was signed. However, the normal folk of the country had no franchise, and therefor the rich landowners were bought off with English land and title, and sold out their own nation. There seems to be a huge misconception down south that the independence movement is a wee fringe group of braveheart loving nutters. I can assure you this is very far from the case, and the referendum will be a close run thing.

Depends how you view it, urban areas are only 1-2% of scotlands land, 2% out of 32% isnt much.

And there is talk about the shetland isles wanting independance from scotland, which will be 1% of 2% out of 32%, meh.

Personally I don't care about independance either way, but from the point of scottishness it does seem daft, like trying to reanimate the dead corpse of Gaelic language, may as well bring back the druids while your at it.

Perhaps but Scotland is not tiny....just under populated rather.

Could care less about Gaelic, It's only the north and west that have any interest in it, we speak Doric round here.

Perhaps but Scotland is not tiny....just under populated rather.

Could care less about Gaelic, It's only the north and west that have any interest in it, we speak Doric round here.

I hope you didn't end up with an ugly sheep mate??

Old traditions die hard.

The Alien Act of 1705, passed by the English parliament was a primary reason for the union. An act designed explicitly as a form of economic warfare. Great reason for us to stay together :mrgreen: There were riots the length and breadth of the country when the treaty of union was signed. However, the normal folk of the country had no franchise, and therefor the rich landowners were bought off with English land and title, and sold out their own nation. There seems to be a huge misconception down south that the independence movement is a wee fringe group of braveheart loving nutters. I can assure you this is very far from the case, and the referendum will be a close run thing.

You're talking rubbish mate, it is a fringe movement mostly by Irish immigrants.

Sponsored Links
Back