The Theory of Everything

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Watched the Theory of Everything film last night and I thought it a brilliant portrayal of Stephen Hawkins' life.
It got me thinking yet again about Cosmology and the Big Bang and theories of time etc etc etc . It is of course just a theory but it is based on the fact of an expanding universe and the Mathematics that describes and predicts its history and future.
As I see it , the theory develops from the expanding universe, which is proven without doubt, and as such reversal of time arrives at the Singularity.
My problem is that the expanding universe is what we currently observe, but what if the Universe is in effect pulsating and that in some time in the future it starts to contract and then reaches a point before the Singularity is reached where is starts to expand again ad-infinitum. Or another possibility is that the singularity is reached but continues in the opposite direction to expand to a point of once again contracting back through the singularity again, ad-infinitum. All of this on a time period of say 100 Billion Years.
My Mathematics is very limited to first degree level and is no anywhere near enough to even comprehend the mind of Prof Hawkins, but can some Physicist out there please put my mind at rest and convince me my alternative thoughts are hopelessly wrong and some smart arse has already thought of the possibility and disproved it as '*******s' which I suspect it is.

Sponsored Links
I know this sounds ridiculous but due to Hawkins' synthetic voice, I always thought he was American :oops:

http://www.ibtimes.com/universe-collapsing-scientists-say-process-may-have-already-started-1509490

Thanks for the great link Brigadier.
What is rather annoying about Physics is that it is only as good as the latest fad or theory. Never quite getting it all right. A theory is right, until someone proves it wrong. When an anomaly is identified in a theory, it is corrected by 'inventing' a new particle to satisfy the mathematics. Then hundreds of Ph.D's are awarded to people trying to find the new invented particle. The Higgs being a prime example. If the particle is not found, then that is not a dis-proof, it is that they haven't looked in the right place yet. The ubiquitous Orbiting Teapot springs to mind. After all of these years of research, there is still no explanation as to what Magnetism, Light or Gravity is. We clearly can't imagine anything other than what we can see, hear or feel.
It makes me wonder if there is a Theory of Everything based on the current models. Maybe our fundamental models are totally wrong and we will never reconcile the fact that unification of Theories (Relativity and Quantum) can never be achieved because the models are fundamentally wrong. We appear to be trying to Unify two wrongs, and that can't be right.

Sponsored Links
I know this sounds ridiculous but due to Hawkins' synthetic voice, I always thought he was American :oops:

The synthesised voice IS American as it was an American who devised it.
Just imagine what Hawkins would have achieved had he not suffered MS.

IMHO eff all. He's a ventriloquist's puppet with a load of clever people in the background piping their unanimous views through his mouthpiece.

IMHO eff all. He's a ventriloquist's puppet with a load of clever people in the background piping their unanimous views through his mouthpiece.

Once again a troll has to have an input to an attempt for serious debate.
I just don't know why you bother Dextraneous

That's a good looking bird at his side I noticed in the trailer.
Is she still at his side or did she dump him?

"After all of these years of research, there is still no explanation as to what Magnetism, Light or Gravity is"

A cow can't understand a simple game of chess just as man will never understand certain things as his brain will always be inferior.
Thats how God intended it.

"I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details."

Albert Einstein.

. After all of these years of research, there is still no explanation as to what Magnetism, Light or Gravity is.

And no explanation of how a woman's mind works.

Who-a-man-works-and-how-a-woman-works_o_141595.jpg

What does the male version look like?
A single knob? :LOL:

Edit - OOh yeah see it now. :LOL:

Taking a very simplistic view of things and leaving out all this quantum physics, mathematics, science etc.

From earth we can see 9 'planets'. (Forget about the down-grading of Pluto or whatever it was).

If these are the planets we can see from earth, and mankind has not travelled further than earth's moon, how the hell do we know if there is such a thing as The Milky Way and how do we know what shape it is?

How do we know stars are 'millions' of light years away?
What if they are a few hundred thousand miles away and actually only about the size of Australia?

How can we be sure that the sun isn't shining past earth, hitting these rocks we call stars, and making them seem to shine during the night because we are on the dark side of the earth at the time?

The vast majority of space knowledge is, to my mind, conjecture and people accept it because 'scientists say so'. The 'average' man in the street is not capable of understanding blackboards full of mathematical equations that may even be a load of tosh made up by someone who has convinced others that he is a brainbox.

Point taken Conny. I was tired and tipsy after a very long week. I apologise for the momentary slip away from being courteous. :oops:

However, my theory is valid and not a troll comment.

For the record Hysteresis- Hawkins doesn't have MS, he has MND.

I wonder what your pupils would think if they stumbled across that post.

Not exactly the kind of responsible reply I would like to see from my grand childrens teacher. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back