The toddler broke a kitchen cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I'm hoping that someone has a simple fix for re-attaching a cabinet door :)

View media item 90643
I need to attach this
View media item 90644to this
View media item 90645possibly using these
View media item 90646
There were also some red plugs around the screws, but they've broken. The kitchen has actually been altered since it was first put in, and it's quite possible (read: very likely) that this door has been reattached using different fixings. It seems to me that the screws need something to help them attach to the door. Or maybe different/fancy screws? I don't know where to start with google.

Yes, I could ask the builder to come back, but I just can't be bothered waiting in for something that seems very simple.

Sponsored Links
There were also some red plugs around the screws, but they've broken. The kitchen has actually been altered since it was first put in, and it's quite possible (read: very likely) that this door has been reattached using different fixings.
Yes indeed, The type of hinges you have, with three drillings should have white dowels and special screws to hold them in the door - not red wall plugs! These hinges are a bit of a specilised item as they are designed for automatic/semi-automatic insertion on the boring machine, consequently I'm having difficulty finding a retail supplier who stocks them in small/any quantities. I can buy the hinges in boxes of 500, but that's not really what you are after, I think.

Edit: Found them - Eurofit sell them

These are 8mm - manufacturers other than Blum (e.g Salice, Hettich and Grass/Mepla) use different sizes, so check the hole sizes before ordering

The alternative might be to replace the entire hinges with something like these Blum Inserta hinges:

Which have the dowels already fitted and are a tool-less install on the doors (clip-on type)

Perfect, that's the sort of solution I'm after. Thank you - I'd never have found them on my own. The hole is 8mm, so I'll order a few packs (they look like the sort of thing that'd be handy to have lying around).

You could insert a wood dowel or 'cut down' plastic wall plug with a touch of glue.

Sponsored Links
You could insert a wood dowel or 'cut down' plastic wall plug with a touch of glue.
The plastic wall plug doesn't work as well - I've tried them in the past and they're a loose fit for the small screws you need on the hinges - in any case you have to get hold of 8mm plugs. Don't know about you but I carry 7mm ones (brown ones) around and 8mm are not really a "go to" item IMHO. The nylon inserts also have many more ribs on them and are a relatively tight fit to start with. I'd be concerned about marking the back of the door (looks like it could be painted) when I flush cut the dowel

I think it's the cut down plastic plug with a touch of glue that failed. The toddler thought it was cool, but then red is his favourite colour so what does he know.

The plastic wall plug doesn't work as well - I've tried them in the past and they're a loose fit for the small screws you need on the hinges - in any case you have to get hold of 8mm plugs. Don't know about you but I carry 7mm ones (brown ones) around and 8mm are not really a "go to" item IMHO. The nylon inserts also have many more ribs on them and are a relatively tight fit to start with. I'd be concerned about marking the back of the door (looks like it could be painted) when I flush cut the dowel
Point taken, I cut down before inserting and sometimes these screws work
http://www.screwfix.com/p/drawer-runner-screws-zinc-plated-m6-x-13-5mm-pack-of-50/92416
as they hold tight due to the extra thickness.
I prefer 6mm and 8mm plugs myself as I find 5 and 7 too tight or loose for most screw sizes I use. ;)
And have a hot glue gun which works a treat for awkward problems like this.

I can see the hot melt gun making a difference. I don't carry one which is probably why it didn't ovccur to me - there's only so big a van I want to drive!

I've ordered the fixing dowls from euro fit - I think they will do the trick.

Thinking about the cut down plug idea - the broken bits definitely weren't an 8 (or 7, nor 6 either probably). So I'll try that if the others don't work. I've been looking for an excuse to buy a hot glue gun.

Foxhole's screw fit link screws just sort of look like they're the wrong shape to fit. Not sure how to explain it, they sort of look too cylindrical?

We've used this builder on a few projects and he's actually a kitchen fitter by trade! I'm rather surprised!

So, I ordered jobandknock's things from eurofit (plus spares plus masking tape - you can never have too much masking tape).

A five minute job, even with the toddler helping. Woke the baby up with the banging, unfortunately. But otherwise very simple.

Now, how long do you think it'll take the husband to notice??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back