The wife went shopping for a friend

Sponsored Links
That certainly looks like a huge project! How much did you pay? Are you hoping to sell it on after you do the work? Looks like a repo place. They always look like hell holes after the hurried vacation of the tenants. Looked at a couple myself recently.

It looks like most rooms need plaster off the walls and ceilings, stripped back to bricks and joists, rewire, replumb, check out all the fireplaces etc. Good luck! And why put down dirty rotten laminate flooring over such nice floorboards? :eek:

Its something I'd love to get my teeth into one day, but nobody is very confident in the current market, and its a question of finding good tradesmen too. Though I reckon I could find everyone I need on here ;)

I have just bought a house myself for £77,000. The vendor bought it 5 years ago for £91,500. He lost £14,500 in 5 years :eek: One year of that its been for sale! He moved out 6 months ago! I truely got a bargain :LOL:

Nothing that a good scrub and a coat of paint won't sort out. Obviously the previous owners had a bit of a taste bypass.

And at least if you do it yourself you know it's done right.

Sponsored Links
lots of nice period features, try and keep all those if you can..

the outhouse at the side looks like it needs pulling down and rebuilding from the foundations.

I'd get those roof alterations looked at, they've just cut through the cross beams ( purlins are they called? ) about half way up the roof, doesn't look like they've supported it..

Well the the adventure is about to begin got the keys today so skips start arriving tomorrow. Got some of my windows ordered today so at least its going to be secure. My mates are round to empty the house and knock a doorway through to ensuite, the utility(out house) is starting next weekend. The ceiling in the dormer is being dropped to see what has been done. The fire places are staying but the surrounds are being swapped to cast iron. Then its just a case of rewire, replumb, replaster, and a lick of paint. So let the fun begin
I think this was the house jack started with :LOL:

so you never did say.. did your wife manage to buy a friend in the end?

and where's this park of yours? do they allow dogs?

Well we have had two weekends at the house, so far its took 4 skips and 10 trips the tip just to get the crap out enough to start work.
the utility has had the internal walls removed and the front wall has come down and been rebuilt just needs to be rendered and the new roof goes on this weekend.

the garden has had a bit of a clear out the ground floor windows been replaced so the house is secure
then the ensuite wall has been removed and a new doorway knocked through and a stud wall rebuilt so a bit of privacy.
then the bonus of we have to start living in it this weekend and find some more diy horror this guy has done for us

looks like you need a plasterer in m8te pm me if you need a hand

I feel your pain. Going through exactly same thing (perhaps not quite so large scale). Just had to move in, no lights or sockets in most rooms. boiler up back garden, mone pooring out of every known orofice and back to work this week. Gaaahh :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back