There is a water leak but where ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need some advice and hope someone can help...

Recently I became aware of an unusual noise in my house. The sound of flowing water through some, or one of my water pipes in the bathroom (ground level). There is no evidence of any leak and there seems to be no loss of water pressure.

The noise has caused a concern so I have been checking all pipes in the house and looking for any signs of a leak. I can find nothing and I am left with only this noise of flowing water in the bathroom.

My neighbors have asked if I am having any problems with water pressure and apart from an occasional slputter of water all water flow and pressure in the house seems normal. At least I havnt noticed anything.

The noise does not stop if I turn off the stopcock in the bathroom (the only stopcock in the house). There is another stopcock outise the house on the public path which I can use to turn off the water to the house.

There has been water emerging from the ground outside on a public road (off-road - access road) along side my house but I cannot pinpoint exactly where as the area of wet ground is covering a large area.

I have contacted Thames water and they have had workmen come and replace the stopcock on the watermain outside the house (REF: note 5)

The sound of water flow has become louder and more water is emerging from the ground outside (but not by the stopcock). I have phoned Thames water with the concern and they have told me they are investigating but it is likely the apparent water leak (REF: note 5) may be originating from within my property boundary hence the noise of flowing water in bathroom.

I have no water problems other than the noise.
My neighbors have lost water pressure.
Thames water are suggestiing that if their engineers determne the course of leak coming from within my property boundary then I will be liable for its maintenance.

I have no idea in hell where the leak could be and dont see why this is something I would have to foot the bill for. I didnt lay the pipe and am pretty sure I wont find out who did as the house was built in 1856.
Couldit be that the pipe that feeds my neighbors house goes through my propety ? and its leaking but not necessarily affecting me ? and I can hear the leak ?

Why am I getting this noise in my house ?

Thoughts
Am I going to have to dig holes in my bathroom floor ?
Am I going to have to dig holes outside ?

With no evidence of a leak inside my house or within my property boundary I decided to check if my deeds can reveal any water pipes that may pass through the property.

I have checked my title deeds and the drainage and water search states:

-----------------
The map of waterworks indicates that there is a vested water main within the boundary of the property.
-----------------

What does this mean ? and could this be the course of the noise ?

Sorry this was so long but I just wanted to make it clear.

Can anyone help ? need more info ? pictures ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
This often happens, I can hear the sound of water running when my neighbours use water and it stops when I turn off my stopcock. Sound is transmitted through water and it's likely that the sound you hear is from the leak outside.

If the leak is in the pipe supplying your house and within your boundary probably you will have to pay, the same as you would if your drains were broken. Check your house insurance policy some cover it.

If the pipe is part of a main water supply that supplies others and is before the outside stopcock supplying your house, then that's a different matter, even if it were on your property you wouldn't be able to isolate it to repair it anyway.

The noise does not stop if I turn off the stopcock in the bathroom (the only stopcock in the house). There is another stopcock outise the house on the public path which I can use to turn off the water to the house.

what happens if you turn it off :idea:

Sponsored Links
kevplumb";p="1385647 said:
what happens if you turn it off :idea:

The water in the house stops running.

Thanks guys. Yes Thames water were explainig that they are only responsible for the pipe that runs up to the main stop cock outside the house and then its not their responsibility.

Great :confused:

What shall I do now :?:
Contact a plumber or call my house insurance people :?:

Cheers

31/10/09
Phoned Insurance and their investigators come out.
They revealed the type of pipe with a little digging and discovered the service pipe is made of lead and heavily corroded and therefore its classified as 'wear and tear' which I am not covered for.

This is really worrying as its close to the house and I am unsure what damge the leak can do (is doing) to the foundations of the house...

So I am keen to sort this out but wont be able to afford thousands of pounds. I'll get a quote ofcourse from a private company but meanwhile if it comes to it - I propose to dig a trench and reveal the length of pipe which could presumably be cut out - reconnected with a substitute and then filled back in.

Can anyone here advise on any do's and don'ts if this became my only solution ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back