Thermostat not controlling boiler properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've been having some trouble with the central heating in the rented home I've recently moved into. I know it's the landlords responsibility but I was hoping I could fix it myself before calling him.

Boiler - Vokera Compact HE
Thermostat - TR-010X ( T6360A) / Honeywell THR870C

Anyway, it appears that the boiler will cycle on and off for 5 minutes no matter what the thermostat is set at.

Ive attached images of the thermostat, which was installed when I moved in. It had 3 wires attached - brown, blue and green/yellow. I was told elsewhere that the green/yellow wire was fitted for cooling rather than heat, but switching it to the correct position (after switching off the electric supply, of course) made no difference.

I also tried fitting a new digital thermostat - the Honeywell THR870C. I put the brown wire in A , the green/yellow in B and put electrical tape around the blue wire and tucked it away. But I'm still having the same problem. When I turn the thermostat off, the boiler still cycles every 5 minutes and the radiators are hot.

Is there anything else I could look at before calling the landlord?

EDIT: OK. I completely disconnected the thermostat, made sure no wires where touching, and turned the central heating back on. The boiler still fired up and cycled for 5 minutes again.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 480
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The boiler controls have not been wired correctly. It's the landlord's responsibility to sort it out, so get on to him. If you do anything and it goes wrong, he will blame you - even if it's not your fault.

Well I've messed up badly. I went ahead and tried to wire it myself. I discovered the wires from the thermostat weren't even attached to the boiler. I tried wiring them according to the diagram, but obviously I read it wrong and the power to the boiler cut off.

I replaced the fuse on the switch, which is now receiving power, but the boiler itself still isn't getting any. Someone suggested I supplied the control board with mains voltage. :-/. I checked the glass fuse on the control board and it looks ok.

I have learnt my lesson - don't meddle in things you don't understand. I have a spark coming tomorrow to have a look at it for me.

What the worst case scenario? Will the entire boiler need replacing or maybe just the control board?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back