Thermostat not controlling heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating stopped working and I traced the fault to the thermostat. I have replaced the thermostat (Drayton RTS1) and the system still won't turn on. I have tried turning the dial through the full temperature range and I don't hear a click! I can bypass the thermostat by connecting the cables L and 3 (Common + Call for heat) and everything works correctly.
Any idea's why the thermostat isn't working?

Sponsored Links
Are you getting 230v at the thermostat? It won't work without power.

I haven't specifically tested for power. If no power is detected, what are the likely causes bearing in mind everything else is working correctly.

That's a good question!! The power comes either from a terminal in your boiler or programmer depending how it's wired. There's nothing else in the way. There was a previous post with diagrams (although not Drayton but the principle is the same), see here //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7973.

You could also have been just plain unlucky and got another u/s thermostat but I think that is unlikely.

Sponsored Links
The Drayton RTS1 thermostat has an electronic sensor. In addition to the Live connection, it also requires a Neutral connection to function. Check the continuity of the Neutral wiring.

Alternatively, a Drayton RTS7 thermostat can be used in 2 wire CH heating systems (where there is no Neutral).

I checked the power and could detect a decent reading from live. I then ran a continuity test on the Neutral wire and this failed. I then replaced the wiring from the controller to the thermostat and hey presto its all now working!! Many thanks for all the input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back