Thermostat to turn a light off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
Sounds daft, but I'm making a box to brew beer etc.
Years ago I had one. 40w bulb in 2 cans slotted together, thermostat off my aquarium. Fish long gone, don't worry.
Asked at Maplins, and girl showed me plug-in timers? Never heard of a thermostat.
Local DIY said, 'Do you mean a room stat?'
That set me thinking. If I put my 40w bulb in the box connected to a bog standard room stat, would the room stat cope with turning the bulb on and off? Temp range is 65 - 75F or 18 - 24C, according to a brewing site.
Used the old one for years, and only had to change one bulb.

Looked at a very expensive stat for a vivarium, but it said it was no good for turning off the light, which is why I'm asking about a room stat.
Thanks.
Paul

Sponsored Links
If I put my 40w bulb in the box connected to a bog standard room stat, would the room stat cope with turning the bulb on and off? Temp range is 65 - 75F or 18 - 24C
Yes, any basic room thermostat will do this. A 40W load is tiny - even a 2A rated thermostat would handle 10x that load.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies.
The room stat looks about 50% cheaper, so that's the one for me!
Thanks again.
Paul

[Thinks] One fish to another: It's cold in here, love, can you turn up the stat?[/Thinks]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back