Thermostat with dual set point (such a thing available?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for a domestic style thermostat which fits on a standard 1G box which gives two set points. Basically two thermostats in one case, with two switched live outs.

They only things my googling can come up with is panel mount stuff.

In case anyone is wondering why, I am looking to use a relay output from the intruder alarm system to cause the heating system to drop back to a lower set point when there is no one here (i.e. arriving home from work late).

I could just use two stats... but that is not such a neat solution

Sponsored Links
Interesting idea.

I just use a programable stat to set a higher temp later in the evening when it is required.

You don't want to come home to a cold house.

Would it not be a better idea to have one of the many mobile controlled systems.

Sounds a faff, I struggle to get my mobile to work for internet anyway, to faff around with it to tell it when i'm going to home each night would be a faff and then I guess it would get confused because the missus was trying to tell it when she was getting in as well (although she can probably manage to work the phone better than me!)

I just want a system that enables me to have it 'not cold' (perhaps 12-14C) between all the programmed times on the programmer, and ramping upto a comfortable temperature (19C) whenever someone is here

Sponsored Links
There are some complex systems around which use a central control to switch up the TRV in the rooms being used and down in other rooms and also switch off the boiler once every room is satisfied. However the price is silly. Think it's called Evohome and it has a panel
evohome-controller-lo-resolution.jpg
which looks very much like a cross between a HMI and a full Scada for a PLC.

Looked at it to control my mothers house but decided it was OTT and used a simple programmable thermostat instead. 35 temperature slots a week should be enough for anyone. This
ae235
Horstmann HRFS1 Programmable Room Thermostat is under £60 and to program to lift the temperature in stages works well. So if you expect to be home 6pm then 5:30pm raise the temperature to 18°C then at 8pm to 20°C this means when you get home chill is already gone so ramping up to 20°C does not take long.

Would it not be a better idea to have one of the many mobile controlled systems.

I just want a system that enables me to have it 'not cold' (perhaps 12-14C) between all the programmed times on the programmer, and ramping upto a comfortable temperature (19C) whenever someone is here
Well all you need is a programmed controller, most wireless applications can do that, such as Salus RT500, you can have it programmed so the temperature never drops below a specified temperature, and can be raised or dropped by manually over riding it by the press of two buttons, one to alter the temp level and one to set.

Sounds like a great idea but I think I'd rather have a mobile controlled solution. These systems generally have a programme you can alter but you can use the mobile interface to alter the programme from afar or just change that one day so for example you can tell it to just turn on as you leave work. I think some require a static IP (ala virgin) as the programme is stored locally.

Many supermarkets :)wink:) use the relay output from the alarm panel to control a PLC device which in turn controls the heat, light and air con with different programmes when the store is empty. In many cases the PLC also interfaces with the refrigeration RDM and switches the case lighting on and off too. The RDM also has a separate interface into the alarm panel for refrigeration alarms too, as well as into the store broadband connection for programme alterations. It's all getting very complicated!

The Horstmann HRFS1 Programmable Room Thermostat I show has fixed frost at 5°C it is in fact a pain as too easy for some one to press the frost button in error when picking up the unit to look at it. Which means central heating is turned off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back