Thermostatic bar mixer pressure issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I bought a Thermostatic Bar Shower Mixer and fitted fine. Last night my wife came running in saying she can hear water running quite loud and fast from the shower.

Basically. If I turn on the left side the shower runs really fast, turn on the right and it goes to a trickle. But here is the real issue. Turn it off and then turn the thermostatic side on the right and you can hear the water running loud and quick and it sounds like it is the cold pressure running back across the mixer into the hot feed.

If it helps, which I think it does, the hot is supplied from gravity fed boiler and the cold is direct mains....

Whats that all about ?

Sponsored Links
Cheers John. Can I replace it with a manual shower mixer do you think ?

Unfortunately the high pressure cold will always try to overcome the low pressure hot, so I don't think that will be satisfactory although it could work to some degree.
The problem will be the flow volume at the end of the day.
Pressure regulating valves are available but I can't comment on how effective they are.
Is there any way you can get tank fed cold water to your shower?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately its an old house, three storeys high, and the shower is ground floor and farthest from the tank. It couldn't get further away if it tried. At the end of the day its only for a mud room and for showering dogs, wellies etc, so doesn't need to be perfect. I think warm when needed would suffice....

You can fit a pressure equalising valve on to the pipework, that will cure your problem.
Jeff

Right. After the responses here, and lots of hours investigating I have come up with a solution...Of sorts.

In the room above the shower "was" a kitchen which is also going to be made into a shower room. So I can drop the cold water feed from there down through the ceiling, which I am 99% sure is gravity fed from the tank......

I will let you know what happens....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back