thermostatic mixer shower choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace my triton electric shower as its not the best, with a thermostatic mixer shower
I have a Worcester Bosch 37cdi boiler which today I tested can kick out 11 ltrs per minute hot water from the closest taps...those on the bath.
The quoted manual says 15 ltrs HW but I guess 11 ltrs would be ample, yes, or is it worth me understanding why the 4ltr drop ? Would distance from boiler be responsible and possible some 22 down to 15mm pipework too ?

Cold water pressure is very good

Grohe`s obviously get good press but all in all, are they worth the extra money or are there better/cheaper alternatives ?
Also, I am keen to understand ease/difficulty of fitting a thermostatic mixer shower for a competent diy'er happy with doing most plumbing

Sponsored Links
Grohe, Mira, Aqualisa, Triton all have good spares back up, and you'll be able to get parts for a good while, but I'll let someone else tell you if the boiler can provide the quantity of hot water! Please don't fit some cheapo oriental rubbish - it'll come back to haunt.
John :)

Thanks for the reply burner man
The plumber who fitted the boiler advised us we only needed the boiler below the 37cdi and it would be more than ample but we deliberately upgraded with the intention of having a shower direct off the boiler rather than an electric one
Hopefully someone can chip in with their experiences and knowledge

Grohe, Mira, Aqualisa, Triton all have good spares back up, and you'll be able to get parts for a good while, but I'll let someone else tell you if the boiler can provide the quantity of hot water! Please don't fit some cheapo oriental rubbish - it'll come back to haunt.

While I have the greatest respect for Burnerman, I disagree, if you fit a Bar Mixer type shower, buy as cheap as you can find - they're a throw away items & can be replaced in two minutes.

Some years ago I fitted £18 bar mixers I bought in Lidl into a smallish B&B. Some years later they're still good strong. There's filters & ISO valves just incase they go t.ts up of course.

Sponsored Links
For sure, if there isn't any tiling issues involved you can't argue against that one!
I've had wee problems with spacing and leaks in the past so once installed I tend to leave them be :eek:

Cheers for the replies pg / bm

Can either of you add anything regarding piping....presumably they just need a 15mm taken from the nearest hot and cold ?
Also non returns look to be built in as standard, yes, so only advice would be isolation valves ?

buy as cheap as you can find - they're a throw away items & can be replaced in two minutes.
The last B&Queue one I fitted for a customer didn't last two minutes :LOL:
Then they tried to tell me that I couldn't get my money back because it had been used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back