Thermostatic mixing shower leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Got downstairs this morning after taking a shower to find water dripping through the garage ceiling. I've poured a bucket of water down the drain which showed no leak, but when the mixer tap is on that's when the water appears. The tap has been dodgy since we moved in, it very stiff and it can move beyond 90 degrees occasionally, so I'm pretty sure this is the cause.

Can someone help me get to the back of the chrome fixing? I'm assuming behind there there is some sort of valve that I can change - I'm hoping I'm not going to have to take any tiles off!

The one I've got looks a bit like the one in the attached files.

I can see that both the handles unscrew but I can see anything else in the holes.

Hope this is enough info, if required I can take a picture of the actual shower mixer later in and upload.

EDIT: OK, managed to find out the exact shower from a part number underneath. Anyone any experience of where these likely leak from? It must be at the back somewhere, and it only leaks when turned on.

http://secure.tritonshowers.co.uk/m...ric-mixer-shower.html?spares=true#prettyPhoto

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Firstly you say poured water down waste and no leaks, but when shower is turned on the leak starts. Was any one stood in the bath or shower tray whilst these two tests were taken?
As leaks can appear when the bath/tray are weight loaded, then disappear when not!
If it does so happen to be the leaking valve, you will need to look mixer outlet nuts and washers/seals, his will also apply to the wall bracket for the shower rose.

Thanks for the reply.

I managed to get the surround off so I could see into the wall and in turns out the mixer is absolutely fine, no sign of any leak. So, spent a couple of hours going up and down the stairs testing water on different parts to try and see where the leak is coming from.

It turns out that it seems to be leaking through the grout in the corner where two walls meet. It looks like the previous owners have had the same problem and put some grout over the top, but when I focus the shower head directly in the corner a load fell out into the shower tray.

I can't see any holes as such but I only get a leak when directing the water into this corner, so it must be porous. Planning on getting the dremmel out to clean the old grout out properly and re-doing.

Anyone else see this before?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back