Thermostatic shower keeps running cold after replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone advise me what the cause will be and how I go about rectifying the problem? Currently I have a Triton thermostatic mixer shower which started working well. However, upon use, the temperature of the water over a course of 5-6 months gradually goes cold. I've had to change the thermostat valve numerous time to resolve the problem but the problem keeps returning. Recently I have change the entire unit and even had the same problem, so I'm now beginning to question whether I have fault somewhere else and not the unit.

Any advise will be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I am never impressed by the quality of Triton products or their poor customer service. Buy cheap etc.

It is very difficult to even guess at the cause of your problem without knowing anything about your system or what you find when opening up the unit.

Have you tried complaining to Triton or even trying to get them to send somebody to inspect it?

Tony

Hi

Its a high pressurised system with a separate Hot water tank. Triton engineer has come numerous times and has replaced the whole thermostatic valve which apparently is the only part replaceable as it comes out as one whole thing. Since then, they have replace it with a new unit and with a different model. But again, the problem has returned. So not sure whats causing it :(

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture of the hot water cylinder and surrounding pipework? showers are supposed to have balanced supplies and I think yours may not be.

I see you are in London some pretty hard water up there might be locking up the thermostat should be some information on the makers website or instructions about how to descale the unit.

Thanks for all your quick response. Please find attached picture. I have a watersoftner installed throughout the house so I'm sure its not. How does one check or ensure the water pressure are balanced? If its not balance in the first place would I not notice the problem within a few days rather than over the course of a few months?

View media item 77356View media item 77357 [/img]

View media item 77359
View media item 77358
If it is unbalanced pressure problem you probably wouldn't notice it as the pressure in the incoming main can vary, cant see the cold take off for your shower in the pics, can you see where the cold to the shower is feed from ?

Hi

Unfortunately, I am not sure myself where to find or locate the cold feed to the shower is. I only know where the water to be shut off. I guess I always assumed it came directly from the mains but I could be wrong? So sorry for not being so helpful as I am not savvy on these things.

Looks like you need a plumber, if you explain about the balanced pessures at least he can rule it out.

I see you are in London some pretty hard water up there might be locking up the thermostat should be some information on the makers website or instructions about how to descale the unit.

Water in London is not that hard and does not cause problems with normally installed equipment like combi boilers etc. unless there is a fault.

Tony

Water in London is not that hard and does not cause problems with normally installed equipment like combi boilers etc. unless there is a fault.

Tony

I lived in south London And Bromley for many years and the kettle used to scale up in no time and we had scum on tea untill we fitted a water filter.

Thanks for all your responses. I'll check it out with the plumber. However, there is one thing that I cant seem to get to the bottom which I'm not sure could be partly at fault. I constant have yellow rust water staining which I'm not sure the cause. At first I thought it was hard water stains. But I have a water softner installed plus, upon checking with my neighbours they don't have this. Any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back