Thermostatic Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of asking a £orgi plumber to install a new boiler for me so as to meet current regulations, and I was expecting a few daft but unavoidable things like fitting a 22mm gas pipe. But I was surprised that he wants to fit three thermostatic valves on upstairs radiators, to comply with something. To my mind this is silly, because I already have a thermostat-controlled zone-valve for upstairs. Does anyone know anything about this, and whether fitting individual radiator valves can be avoided ?

Sponsored Links
i hear what your saying but why are you bothered so much about 3 trv upstairs. it will give you even more control, for not much more cost.

Why do you consider it "daft" for a new more powerful gas appliance to require its gas supply pipe to be upgraded to the appropriate size :?:

Part L' will be what your man was explaining.
He was trying to do you a favour, why not look into it yourself and realise when someone is trying to help you out.

http://www.idhee.org.uk/TACMAGuide.pdf

As you will see, it would be a good idea to accept his suggestion

Sponsored Links
Thanks, mjmcmil, I've had a look at the useful link you gave. It's quite a complex subject ! Maybe I should just learn to live with it....

I was thinking of asking a £orgi plumber to install a new boiler for me so as to meet current regulations, and I was expecting a few daft but unavoidable things like fitting a 22mm gas pipe. But I was surprised that he wants to fit three thermostatic valves on upstairs radiators, to comply with something. To my mind this is silly, because I already have a thermostat-controlled zone-valve for upstairs. Does anyone know anything about this, and whether fitting individual radiator valves can be avoided ?
A zone valve and thermostat only controls the general temperature in the zone but a TRV controls the temperature in the individual room.

If you do go ahead with fitting TRVs upstairs, you should not have one on the radiator in the area where the wall stat for the upstairs zone valve is located.

I agree it's daft if the bedroom area is controlled (zoned) separately from the living quarters.

Tell him you will get another quote elsewhere if he insists. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back