Thickness of a stud wall to an ensuite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing some initial planning for an an ensuite but don't know how thick to assume the walls will be.

The space at the moment is an old cupboard which would be extended outwards. The walls are those lovely 1970s eggbox sandwiches so the overall thickness is about 60mm.

Going round the room, one wall is masonry so stays as is. the next will have a door in it and nothing else really but don't know what thickness to plan for, the next will be the back of a 1200 shower so I'm hoping to simply extend the existing 60mm eggbox and fit aquaboard type stuff over it before tiling, the final wall will be the wet wall with shower controls, pipes etc. It's a 60mm eggbox at the moment, but I'm toying with replacing it and moving it back a bit.

Sponsored Links
Assuming a minimum timber stud thickness of say 70mm with another 12.5mm plasterboard each side, leaves you with a skimmed wall thickness of about 105mm.
There are standard door casings sold to deal with this very scenario and if you want to know what thickness any stud wall finishes at just go measure standard casings.
They are made to suit 100mm and 75mm (plus plasterboard) timber studs.

That's one way I guess though the joiners I had build me a wall elsewhere used untrenched linings and cut them down to suit the wall.

Thinking about it, if I go down the 105mm route, then I'll have at least one wall at 105 and the original side wall at 60. Perhaps some of the old eggbox wall can be saved to extend out the 60. If not, I'm really staring at rebuilding two walls at the very least.

I would not be heartbroken if I were to be replacing paramount walling in my house.

Crack on go for it.

Sponsored Links
Ok, numpty question ...

That cupboard made from three walls of Paramount walling (nice to know the proper name at last!), if I knock them all out, do I need to support the roof trusses? The attic has various boxes and a water tank that I was planning to move/empty before any work starts so the trusses wouldn't have any additional load on them.

Paramount walling is not load bearing, however it will serve to take some of the whip out of the ceiling once any loads have been imposed. What you may find is that the ceiling joists will pop down once the walling is removed.

Some simple propping would suffice in order to take up any sag.

Ta. Yer, I was thinking something along those lines, or maybe only doing one wall at a time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back