thin layer of plaster come off after scraping paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, due to condensation etc in a shower room i scraped the flaky paint off ceiling.In certain areas a thin layer of plaster has come off too. I was wondering the best way to fill it? use skim or use a filler? I did try a bit of skim but it was multifinish and i couldnt get a neat finish and ended up with it all over the surrounding plaster too. The patch is only about 1 mm deep but there are a few of them on the ceiling.I just painted over it in another room but you can notice it quite alot.
thanks
Nick

Sponsored Links
Hello All,
I know it's an 'old' post but I have exactly the same thing in my kitchen and bathroom on the walls, and wondered if anybody knew of a cure please ??
Do I try and get as much 'thick' paint as I can over the 'chips' then rub down, more paint, rub down etc ??
The effected areas seem a bit big to try and use filler, but is this something worth trying maybe ??
As the areas can sometimes suffer from condensation do I need to use matt or silk emulsion ??

Many thanks

Ed

Firstly thoroughly rub down the ceiling to a nice flat (except for the holes etc) finish.
PVA and then use a trade filler like easifill (readily available from B&Q).
Apply to the affected ares where plaster come out(don't use plaster as the reason the plaster came off was because it was too thin a coat).

Once a couple of coats of filler have been applied rub down til the ceiling is all nice and flat.

Use a paint like this

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=35

Available from most trade outlets,it's desinged for high condensation areas.

If you ask nicely many trade outlets will tint it for you if you want to use it on walls.It is white so if they tint it'll be a light colour but the main thing is it'll stop your problems. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back