This just happened to my boiler! (pic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Well, sitting in the kitchen this evening, the Mrs and I thought for a moment we could hear thunder. But quickly realised that water was coming through the kitchen ceiling. Shut the water off, opened the boiler cupboard to find it billowing steam and hot water everywhere.

Anyway, after some investigating (and a lot of wet towels) I've found this;

Here;

DSC_0351_zps2e03b113.jpg

Its in the top right on this photo....

DSC_0352_zpsb0dead0d.jpg

Its a copper pipe with a pressure sender/switch mounted onto it. The mounting has failed, the all the water in the CH circuit burst out, great! There is some crusty of 'glue' around the point where it's failed, it looks like someone has glued it in before to avoid replacing the pipe, which I can see would be quite difficult (the nut at the lower end is easy to get to, but the top isn't!).

I note that its only the CH that's been affected, and only the CH water leaked out, rather than mains flow, luckily.

Anyway - i'd be very grateful for anyone's opinions on the follow.

It's a C&M Brittany Combi SE, installed in 2001.

- What is this part called, and will I be able to get one?

- Is there a permanent way of putting this back on with some kind of adhesive that I could actually trust and have confidence in (i.e that this wouldn't happen again when we're out?). I don't like the sound of this option, nor does my wife.

- Roughly, if I pay a plumber, how much would I be looking at to get that sorted?

- Should I consider just get a whole new boiler, after all, the one we have is 12 years old...and now its had water sprayed everywhere inside, I suppose there is a good chance that some of the electronics is shot.

Very grateful for any advice :)

Thanks,

Tom

Sponsored Links
Auto focus wasn't your friend there was it?

Looks like the pressure sensor, but I will need to look up this ****box (as all Chaffs were) to be sure.

Either way, 20 minute job, plus the part. Some of us charge by the hour though.

Sponsored Links
It's the pressure switch and the plastic thread has sheared through and probably still stuck in the pipe.

The pipe will probably need disconnecting, with a bit of heat the remaining thread can be removed, but it's not an easy job. It would be much easier to replace the pipe in addition to a new pressure switch.

Last one took me an hour to carefully remove the thread remnants.

Alright cheers for the help. Autofocus comment made me laugh

I took the old pressure sensor and pipe off this evening, I'll take it to the local boiler parts place tomorrow. I'm wondering if it's worth just buying a new boiler instead. What would you do?

Even if replacing those parts kicks this one back to life, I've somewhat lost faith that it won't flood our house next time we're out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back