This new generation.....jeez.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter passed her driving test last week so dad took her looking at new lease cars(as promised, don't ask:()

On her list was the new 4 door Smart car, Clio and Fiat 500.

Out of the 3 she liked the Fiat because of the funky interior and colours available. For less money than the other two she'll get more extras included but she has decided against the Pop(basic model)even though it has a good list of extras and has opted for the Lounge version, WHY?
Because it has built in email, Twitter and Facebook, wtf that's all about:)

Sponsored Links
Ahh terry, did you not realise that these days, people are more adept at multitasking than us oldies. In no time at all, she'll be doing 70 mph on the motorway, whilst simultaneously posting news of her progress on Twitter. Chatting with friends on Facebook and emailing her friends. (all whilst keeping an eye on the car in front that's just suddenly braked) ;);););)

Out of the 3 she liked the Fiat because of the funky interior and colours available. For less money than the other two she'll get more extras included but she has decided against the Pop(basic model)even though it has a good list of extras and has opted for the Lounge version, WHY?
To me, that just confirms what we already know to be a fact: that women see cars differently to how men do.

What car is that?
Man: It's a Peugeot 108 Roland Garros with 1.2 litre 3-cylinder petrol engine.
Woman: It's a red one.

And you are not joking either.

I do agree the Fiat 500 is cute. But I realised I could not get a chest of drawers, or plaster coving, or planks inside a Fiat 500, so it was crossed off the list. You'd be surprised what you can carry in a VW Up.

Sponsored Links
Last week she passed her test. Now she has to learn to drive.......

Best option is a good quality second hand car from a reputable dealer that will not be a heartbreaker it it written off. That siad the VW Lupo my daughter bought didn't get written of and she became very attached to it. It was bought from a Renault main dealer who had taken it as part exchange.

Friends bought their daughter a brand new car for passing her test. Lack of experience resulted in a nasty accident, no serious injuries but the car was written off within a few days. She is now driving "an old banger" while gaining experience of driving solo.

Ahh terry, did you not realise that these days, people are more adept at multitasking than us oldies. In no time at all, she'll be doing 70 mph on the motorway, whilst simultaneously posting news of her progress on Twitter. Chatting with friends on Facebook and emailing her friends. (all whilst keeping an eye on the car in front that's just suddenly braked) ;);););)

You show your age Jock, no need to multi-task or take your hand off the wheel, it's all voice activated. ;)

You show your age Jock, no need to multi-task or take your hand off the wheel, it's all voice activated. ;)
My Hyundai has voice activation for the radio, media player and is bluetoothed to my phone. You'd be surprised how much it can distract me from driving. If I receive a text message I can tell it to read the text message back to me, I can then relate a reply (if I choose to do so) It does distract me (a driver with almost 40 yrs experience) so much so that I ignore phone calls, texts etc and use the voice activation very sparingly. For a lass with practically no experience of driving, I think I'd have bought her a very basic "old banger" until such time as she has the experience. One can only imagine the distraction of receiving tweets and Facebook notifications whilst driving. ;);)

Young Drivers have an over 40% chance of having an accident in the first year of driving.

Just buy a good reasonable second hand car for her until she is proficient

As its on lease and fully comp insurance it matters not whether it's new or used.

I'd prefer her to have new for the reliability and modern safety features(Facebook, Twitter and email not included):)

To me, that just confirms what we already know to be a fact: that women see cars differently to how men do.

What car is that?

You missed the bit where the woman gives the car a name (y)

My kids call a local roundabout the "Jesus!" island......

..because that's what my wife said, when she crashed into it (with the aforementioned progeny aboard) :eek:

What car is that?

You missed the bit where the woman gives the car a name (y)

I'm waiting for that, seriously.

As its on lease and fully comp insurance it matters not whether it's new or used.

I'd prefer her to have new for the reliability and modern safety features(Facebook, Twitter and email not included):)

yes it does,because god forbid if she is involved in a accident her insurance will go up.so long term she could suffer.and end up in an old banger because of insurance restraints.

fair play if you/her can afford a new car,but from a personnel point of view i would never purchase a new car for any of my boys,my eldest is learning to drive.weve bought him an old n reg ford fiesta that needs some work done to it for the mot,that is easy to work on etc.
as others have said the test is only a TEST,at the time it proves she has reached a required standard of ability to drive.
as we all know experience comes with time,i had endless private lessons with an old guy who taught me to drive,when i went with an instructor he said i wouldnt pass the test because thats not how they want you to drive.
good luck in your search.

What ever happened to saving up for a runaround instead of Daddy buying a brand new car. A great lesson in life there! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back