Thorn Apollo 30/50B Boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
PLease can anyone help with this problem with my Apollo Boiler.

Yes i know it is old ..............

I have come to switch on the boiler, switching on the central heating and hotwater on my timer as usual, and everything switches on and the boiler fires up OK.

After about a minutes the boiler shuts downs as though i have switched the controls off......Pilot sill alight but its not firing.

Any suggestions.............Want to try and get another year or so out this old boiler.....

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pump or airlock ?

How will i know if its the pump or airlock ?

I persume if its pump, new pump required, what about airlock ? how do i resolve that one.

Thanks

I have noticed that the boiler fires uo when first started then swithces off after 1 min or so, then it w ill fire up again for about 20 seconds and switch off, and it keeps doing this.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Look at the FAQ on this site which gives all the info about pump and how to check it.

Also check the header tank has water in in it!

Otherwise call an engineer who will know how to deal with such a simple fault.

Tony

if it was pump gone on an apollo then 99% of the time it would sound like someone was hitting the boiler with a hammer as it is a low water content boiler and the water would quickly boil and thump and bang .
Sounds like the solenoid on gas valve is breaking down under use and would need a pro to check this out
Does it do it on both hi and lo as this would eliminate the stats as being faulty

Hi

Just tried it on High and it seems to be working OK,,,,,,,I always have the setting on Low.

Is it Ok to run like this ?

Do i need to change anything? fit new stat etc?

Thanks

perfectly ok to run on hi rads will just feel hotter new lo stat is around 25 quid plus fitting
Remote possibility it may also be a faulty wiring harness from low stat

Those stats were never a very good choice although cheap for the makers buy.

As the boilers are now over 20 years old its not surprising that they are rather worn out.

My advice that you do get an engineer to replace the faulty one if you intend to use the boiler for much longer.

Although old they are still fairly efficient.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back