Thorn Apollo Heat Exchanger...........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi from a NEWBIE.

Thorn is about 25 years old, doing very well, but heat exchanger is getting noisy............when on full burn.

I have inhibit in the heating system but no protection on the hot water side, so i suspect limescale and scum build up.

Is there a way to flush this out.......safely......i say this as my last house had a combi with NO lime scale protection, and a cowboy used an acid mix to flush the system, yes it cleared the heat exchanger, but the acid ate holes in it also................so i had to buy a new combi.

I just want to flush some of the crap out of the heat exchanger without causing damage so at leat my new magnetic limescale preventer has got a chance of keeping the scale down.....

I dont want a new boiler, just give it new life, so is it a flush out with some sort of chemical or a new exchanger..............

thank u

Sponsored Links
You seem a bit mixed up by whats what.

If your very old boiler is kettling you can add X200 to the heating system water and it will probably quieten it.

You can leave the X200 in the system!

Tony

It only makes the kettle sound on HOT WATER demand, the HEATING has new inhibit, thats what makes me think the heat exchanger is clogged on the hot water side as i have no limescale protection...........and its 20 odd years old, .............

Sponsored Links
@ Agile.

Why add X200 will make things less noisy.............on the HW side, should i flush the entire CH system and refill adding X200.

Advise would be great, i have just repalaced the thermocouple and knackered spark electrode where the insulation had broken.....

All the crap has been vacuumed out of the unit, and crap and dust/cob webs off the heat exchanger..........

When i just use heating, the noise is okay, but when i use hot water its noisy, is suspect it the hot water side not being protected by a limescale device as i live in a hard water are, where as the heating side uses proteted water via the aditive..............

I think you need a RGI as you have compromised the seals - they need checking, assuming it's room sealed, if open flue have you checked the flue is working correctly. Also the gas rate/burner pressure/combustion may or may not bo correct!!!!!!!!!

nla = no longer avaible
and why spend money on boiler that is that old and obselte

why not on a boiler that doesn't need a new hex? apollo is a sound boiler but if the hex is gone it's game over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back