Thorn EMI Apollo 40 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to instal a three-way valve to control the H/W and C/H to this boiler but am unsure how it needs to be connected into the boiler wiring. I want to use a Y plan system.
I would appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me on this. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Visit the Honeywell web site and search for 'Y' plan. This will give the industry standard wiring diagram.

If the apollo has a pump over run, I can't remember on this boiler, then the pump must be controlled by this and the wiring adapted slightly from the diagram.

Sponsored Links
Hi. I'm looking at an Apollo 15/30 for a customer. As Gas4You said. A standard "Y-Plan" is good. The pump, however, is wired through the boiler terminal block and its marked Pump Live & Neutral. So you wire the pump directly from these terminals. Everything else is as per industry standard. The wire from terminal 8 of your external wiring centre goes to the boiler terminal block position marked "ON". If there is a link between "ON" & "HW" remove it. The mains is wired to both the boiler terminals and to the external wiring centre.

Good luck

And when the pump is faulty you will think that its the boiler !!!

1. What time switch do you used?

If it is an Apollo one, heHere is a wiring diagram for a Y plan:

2efhkl4.gif

If you have a modern replacement time switch the wiring is slightly different.

1 Where are the pump, HW cylinder and wiring centre in relation to the boiler?

If your installation is like mine, the boiler is in the kitchen while the pump and HW cylinder are in the airing cupboard.

2 Where is the switch which turns the whole lot off?

In my installation the main switch is in the airing cupboard. and there are two cables from the wiring centre down to the boiler. One is a 2 core+ earth which provided a permanent supply from the wiring centre to the L, N and E terminals in the boiler. The other is a two core cable. The red core is connected to the pump L terminal at the boiler, the other end goes to the Live terminal on the pump via an unused terminal in the wiring centre. (the pump gets it's neutral connection direct from the neutral terminal in the wiring centre). The black wire in the two core is connected to the ON terminal in the boiler and to the boiler terminal in the wiring centre. (The boiler and pump have separate terminals in the wiring centre as the pump needs to overrun.)

There are other ways of achieving the same result, it all depends on what cables you have already and where everything is located!
[/img]

Thanks for all your help.
I am using a Switchmaster 300 programmer which I believe is Drayton.

The pump, HW cylinder and all associated wiring are all in the airing cupboard as well as the boiler and programmer so changing any wiring would not be a problem.

The main switch is also in the airing cupboard.

I would welcome any more wiring comments, thanks

John

Most members of ARGI would know him as the treasurer though!

I thought you were a member Dave?

Tony

Thanks for all your help.
I am using a Switchmaster 300 programmer which I believe is Drayton.

The pump, HW cylinder and all associated wiring are all in the airing cupboard as well as the boiler and programmer so changing any wiring would not be a problem.

The main switch is also in the airing cupboard.

I would welcome any more wiring comments, thanks

John

The Switchmaster 300 is a single channel timer, so you can't control HW separately from CH.

How do you turn the CH off in the summer?

Y Plan needs a two channel timer, e.g. Drayton LP722.

sounds like I will need to buy a new programmer.

At present there is a 3 way valve installed in the pipework but there is no electrical unit fitted to it. I was going to replace this with a new 3 way valve and wire it in.

What programmer would you suggest and how would the wiring be altered?

Many thanks
John

At present there is a 3 way valve installed in the pipework but there is no electrical unit fitted to it. I was going to replace this with a new 3 way valve and wire it in.

There has never been a electrical unit (motor) i.e it is a mechanical valve, or the electrical unit is missing/kaput? Sounds very Heath-Robinson to me :)

What programmer would you suggest and how would the wiring be altered?

Depends on what you want to spend and how much control you need over the system. (e.g separate times for HW and CH, different heating requirements during the day, different requirements at the weekend. etc)

What Room Thermostat do you have?

The main switch is also in the airing cupboard

Just to confirm everything including the boiler, apart from the room thermostat, is in the airing cupboard.

This will make wiring easier. :)

If you don't have a wiring centre (WC) buy one, it makes it much easier!

Here is the wiring diagram for a Y plan:

2ib1ekh.jpg

It will need modifying for the Apollo, which needs a permanent supply for the pump.

Assuming the pump is already connected to the pump connections on the boiler, leave this as it is and ignore the pump connections shown in the diagram.

You will need to run a three core+ earth from the WC to the boiler.

Brown from WC Terminal 1 to Boiler L terminal
Blue from WC Terminal 2 to Boiler N terminal
Green/Yellow from WC Terminal 3 to Boiler earth terminal
The fourth core (usually black) from WC Terminal 8 to boiler ON terminal

You will also need three core + earth for the tank thermostat wiring and 4 core + earth (or 2 core +earth and three core + earth) for the programmer wiring.

Decide where you want to mount everything, estimate how much wire is required and then work out which is the most cost effective. It might be cheaper to buy a larger roll of 5 core+earth for everything, even if some cores do not always get used.

You're right about it being Heath-Robinson. It must have been installed by a real cowboy! It is my son's house which he has only recently moved in to.

You asked about the room thermostat, but again there isn't one, I will instal that together with a cylinder stat which is also lacking.
Once you turn the boiler on the only control at present I believe is the boiler stat!

Thanks for the wiring diags. I take it that I need to follow the last one and not the previous one you gave me? Do I still need the HW to ON link removed?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back