thorn emi apollo boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok can some one tell me how old the thorn emi apollo boilers are and why is my boiler eating the mony of me gas card so quick it had had 15.00 on in 2days and thats alot of money for gas if the boiler is as old as it looks shouldnt the landlord replace it as i am concernd as i have children in my home

Sponsored Links
That does seem rather excessive use of gas.

I would suggest you contact the landlord to ask for an RGI to attend to check the boiler and your gas carcass thoroughly.

If any major faults are found then they would hopefully be repaired or as a last resort the boiler would be replaced.

Have you just moved in? It is possible the card meter is set to pay back debt therefore for every pound on your card you only get 30p of gas. You may be paying somebody else's gas bil.. Check your programmer etc.

my boiler didnt use that much cas in 5 days wwhen just hot water it used 10.00 in 1 week its just as soon as ya put heating on it used 6.49 in just uner 5 hours there is no debt on meter
what can i do if landlord wont change old boiler and im mean that boiler is older than me daughter and to me it aint running afficantly costing more that 6.00 a day just terying to heat home for 5 hours thats all wrong me old home had had boiler new one and home had 3 floors to it and it only cost me 35.00 a week to have heating on all time during winter

Sponsored Links
You should not be using that amount of gas, not even for hot water. I have an Apollo boiler, about 20 years old in a four bed detached house. My average gas spend over the year is only £15 per week and it goes down to about £5.50 per week when it's just heating the water.

From what you say you have not been in your place very long. Did you landlord provide you with a copy of the Gas Safety Check?

By law, a landlord is required to:

ensure gas fittings and flues are maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available it is recommended that they are serviced annually unless advised otherwise by a CORGI-registered installer;
ensure an annual safety check is carried out on each gas appliance/flue. Before any new lease starts, you must make sure that these checks have been carried out within one year before the start of the lease date, unless the appliances in the property have been installed for less than 12 months, in which case they should be checked within 12 months of their installation date;

If you do not have a copy of the certificate, ask you landlord to provide one. When he does, check the date it was issued; t must be less than 12 months before you moved in. If it is older than that, or he does not provide a copy, the landlord is breaking the law.

You should also find out from the landlord when the boiler was last serviced.

In the meanwhile, what controls do you have over water and room temperature?

For example, do you have a thermostat on the wall? If so what is it set to? Anything above 21C will greatly increase your gas consumption.

Do you have a thermostat on the hot water cylinder (about 15 inches of the ground on the side). It should be set to 60, anything higher will use up gas unnecessarily.

If you are living in private rented accommodation, you may be entitled to a WarmFront Grant for loft and cavity insulation and other energy saving help. It all depends on your financial circumstances. There are details at
Warm Front Grants

Although your landlord has to give his OK for the work to be done, he does not have to make any contribution towards the cost.

thankyou for all your help you guys it was a great help will keep u all informed on it all :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back