Thorn M boiler noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Thorn M boiler which has recently started making a noise which sounds a bit like a pressure release from a valve opening, it last for a few seconds and hapens maybe every few minutes at most. Don't be mislead by my pressure release description, I have no idea what is causing it and this is the best way I can describe the noise it makes.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response.

The boiler has only recently started making this noise, its quite old so I am concerned something in it is coming to the end of its life. As I mentioned don't be distracted by my description of pressure release or valve, its difficult to describe the loud whooosh noise it makes, it can be heard throughout the house.

Thanks

I've noticed that this problem is now happening more. Sometimes the boiler makes a hissing noise which is quite loud and lasts for a few seconds. When it happens it now seems to do it continuously with a second or two gap inbetween.

Can anyone suggest what I can check to determine what the problem is, or should I just call in an engineer. The CH and water are still heating OK, but the noise is a bit concerning. Any ideas whether this would mean a new boiler or just something minor.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
god, i've had enough of this. your boiler isn't "boiling" the stat isn't "faulty" either. if they were your bathroom would resemble a steam room when you ran a bath. your posts wouldn't be complaining about noise but about the heat of your hot water. the noise you can hear is kettling, it's an old boiler and it's had a build up of limescale over time. there's various noise reducers you can add to the system (my dad swears by a bottle of fairy, auld plumbers but!!)
Do a search on noisy systems.

Sounds to me like its over gased, burner pressure to high and would require as weargas said a flush out and noise reducer i recommend fernox cleanser and then after flush noise reducer first failing that call corgi reg eng out to check burner pressure on boiler "amount of gas burning" to much gas and boiler will make sim noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back