thorn M gas boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks

yesterday my trusty old (must be 20yrs +) boiler wouldnt flare up,i turned the dial to number 3 but the flames didnt kick in...the piolet light is working fine...but the flames just aint kicking in

the hot water is working,so its just the central heating thats not.....when i turn everything on i hear the noise as if it is working but still the flames arnt flaring up,??

this has happened before and after havin a little mess they kicked in again (but cant remember what i did )

is there a proper way of making the flames flare up ie: turnin the temp control switchs first ect?

or do i just turn the boiler dial up and it should light up?

thx for any help

Nifty

Sponsored Links
hi kev
i can here the pump running it just wont flare up :(

anything esle i can try?

Sponsored Links
hi kev
yes the hot water was ok,although i think as we use it its running out and goin just warm

ive tried switching it all off as in resetting....but to be honest i could do with a manual of how to work this boiler out

ive just moved in and its the oldest boiler ive ever seen :)

thorn m
nothing to work out old workhorse
not the most efficient but a bl**dy good boiler
solenoid on the gas valve springs to mind :)

i dont wanna mess with it myself....im gonna have to call some1 out :(

cant work it out cause its done it before.......when i turn the dial which is supposed to boot it up i here a click but thats it.....still the spring valve?

how much am i lookin at? :(

cheers for your help
Nifty

hi kev
well its finally fired up

after breaking the knob by twisting it to far its working

could it still be the solinoid u said???????????

to make it light all i did was light paper and stick it in past the piolt light and it worked......maybe just luck?

maybe time i got it serviced....i noticed a sticker on there tellin me the last service date was 1987..... :)

thx for all your help
regards
Nifty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back