threaded escutcheons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all
Are currently fitting a number of very expensive bespoke doors ( im not the carpenter, am site manager) the client as requested threaded escutcheons! exact product to be determined, However as i "google" this type of escutcheon i can see what they are, the carpenter as never fitted them!, are looking for advice from anyone who as fitted these type of escutcheons to help minimise getting it wrong in any way.

All discussion gladly welcomed!!

Thanks Russell

Sponsored Links
I think they usually have a chisel leading edge edge which cuts the wood as they are pressed in. Not sure if you cut a rough keyhole first or whether you dig out the debris after the escutcheon is in place. Would think the latter otherwise the escutcheon might drift off course during the pressing operation. Old craftsmen probably pressed them in with a single skilled tap of the hammer.

While I have fitted a few escutcheons of that type, it's been a while since. I would have cut a suitable recess for the particular fitting to give a tight press fit, using a scribing gouge and or a 1/8"chisel. Just pushing it into the relatively thin wood over a lock might cause damage to the wood.
There's various items about "fitting threaded escutcheons" on the internet. for instance
http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/gtesc.html
Only my take on it, my background is furniture, but if it's expensive bespoke joinery to a high quality, then it deserves the same care taken fitting the hardware.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back