Thumbs up for EPDM roof sheet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I laid my EPDM roof cover today. First time I've used it and it was so easy, and looks quite good.

Just lay the sheet out, fold half back, roll some adhesive down, stick half of the sheet, then repeat for the other half. Fix the edge strips - I used some "Quick Trim" edges and gutter drip .... and you are done.

I've no reason to doubt that it will have a life at least equal to felt and most likely more, so its probably good for at least 20 years. Its cheaper, quicker and safer, so all told, I really can't see the advantage in a traditional two or three layer felt system.

I may start specifying this instead of felt in future.

Sponsored Links
I used epdm for my two flat roofs recently went down fairly easily though one is 6mtrs by 4mtrs.How did you fit gutter drip, had no instructions with mine?

The gutter drip was two sections.

The first screws to the fascia, the membrane is then bent over this, then the second section clips into this and holds the membrane tight and secure and forms the drip into the gutter

Sponsored Links
It does have a seam, but this is done in the factory by some sort of vulcanising process.

You order the sheet in one big piece for the size of the roof. It is available in quite large sheets, so there is no joining on site

Glad you happy, Woody. We've stopped doing felt now, just do the rubber roofs. We did a 6 metre by 18 metre on Monday. Everything went to plan until we realised the folded up rubber weighed almost half a tonne!

Had to go and borrow a forklift from the factory 200 metres away, drive it along the pavement and lift the rubber up to the lads. Looked like something from jeremy beadle LOL :D

lol, yes that could be a bit of a problem. My sheet was 6x4m, and that was heavy enough taking up the ladder.

I pity the poor delivery guy who has to deliver all these from the mail order supplier.

Incidentally I phoned around a few of the roofing suppliers in brum, including Asphaltic and Proos, and no-one seemed to have heard of EPDM for roofs! It was like "What, like rubber, do you mean rubber sealant .... a cover?... what like polythene?"

I did want to get some impressions and comments from the merchant staff, but it was not to be. So I bought it blind from an on-line supplier, arrived next day and I am glad I did not have to go hunting around for it and transporting it around.

The Quick Trim I used looks much better than the normal aluminum capping IMO and the gutter drip is a neat idea too - www.quicktrim.co.uk

No, the membrane is left exposed - which gives a nice grey, "lead-like" appearance.

The is a ballasted system, which is covered in gravel/chippings, but I don't know when this would be preferable to the plain version.

There is also a fire-resistant version which would be suitable for use near to boundaries.

I'd like to hear from any flat roofers about any significant disadvantages compared to traditional felt. I can't think of any.

Asphaltic and Proos

They won't stock it, as its regarded as ****e in the commercial market. Its only as good as the adhesive, in larger exposed locations, the wind travelling over the surface lifts it clear off the deck.

We recently tendered for a school in Reigate that needs replacing after only a few years, original installer has gone bust, and manufacturer blames installation of course.

Domestic market isn't as well educated as the commercial market, hence its use.

Until there is an EPDM system that offers a cast iron insurance backed guarantee, it won't replace traditional methods. The biggest growth area at the moment, is Liquid Coatings mainly from LPL. Thats crap as well, but they have a fantastic sales team...Go figure :confused:

Fitted correctly there is no way wind can shift it any easier than it can shift a felt roof.

Yes thats right - fully bonded is just one fixing method, along with mechanical and ballasted installtion.

Given that it is not a new product, as its been in use for a long time in other countries, then I can see the apprehension and potential for poor installation issues.

More likely, is that because its new, then the traditionalists can't come to terms with it.

With regards to merchants not selling it, then that is just plain lack of commercial sense.

I see many poor felted roof installtions and even some of these have had to be replaced after a few years. Same for liquid coatings - we have called one company back 3 times after an installation 5 years ago.

So all things being equal, and given proper detailing and installation, I can't see why traditional felt would be better.

So all things being equal, and given proper detailing and installation, I can't see why traditional felt would be better.

Your knowledge of modern felt sytsems is very limited then.

call me a staunch traditionalist, but a well laid three layer felt roof can last 15 years and for a moderate outlay.

plus, it is repairable.

i can not say whether one is better, worse or equal to the other, but for now i will be sticking to the usual felt system.

the latest roof we are having covered steps down and is rather complicated owing to the soffit boxes that it interferes with, plus all the other weird idiosyncrasies the architect had us build.

so a bespoke piecemeal felt roof is the answer me thinks - woody?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back