ticking noise from engine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old Toyota Yaris 1999 has recently developed a tick from the engine. The timing suggests relevant to one piston -speeds up with revs and gets louder when accelerating hard or going up inclines. Sometimes quite quiet.

Car was serviced in May, as per every year. Just checked oil and it's only half full. I'm sure its always been full before. Checked underneath and all clean. At service, garage said something about having to use a certain type of oil from now on - some regulation or other.

Any thoughts? Could new type of oil or lack of full tank of oil cause this or is something just worn out? It is an old car after all.

Will take back to garage and query why not full of oil but just wondering (car doesn't produce any smoke, so unlikely to be burning much oil).

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Its probably just one of the valve clearances slightly bigger than it should be....or perhaps a bit of timing chain rattle.
Do use the specified grade of oil though!
John :)

Most likely what John says. Once you've heard these things they can be difficult to "unhear" Older engines often do it. My old Passat used to on and off.
With an older engine though I would get into the habit of checking the oil level regularly. I don't trust oil level lights. I like to see there's oil on the stick.

The Yaris is a car that's largely passed me by for some reason, but I believe the early ones were the epitome of reliability with only a few timing chain issues to cloud their horizon.
Even hydraulic valve lifters can clatter like hell!
JohnB - oils these days are much thinner than they used to be, which may account for some consumption.....however, it may never have been fully topped up in the first place :p
Top it up to the max and keep an eye on it - and worry ye not!

Sponsored Links
I replied with thanks a minute ago but the post seems to have disappeared. Anyway, thanks to everyone.

I like that STP stuff for thickening the oil? Especially on the older engines if they get tappy ...........

If you have a local garage, doesn't have to be main dealer, just ask them for their opinion on the noise, just in case its more serious. Or even a friendly mechanic ...........

Yea, I'll go back to my servicing garage - pretty friendly and I'm sure he'll wonder about the oil tank being half full. Might discuss that STP stuff with him too.

Cheers.

STP, Mr. M? That dates you a bit.....didn't even know it was still available!
Scientifically Treated Petroleum, I think it stands for, although we call it something else :p

Cheers for that, Alan - I'm stuck in the time warp where STP was the thick treacle like substance that came in the flip top tin :p
Guaranteed to take up excess crankshaft clearances.....at least until it got hot!

................... :)
Put many an oil light out at tick over

'thick treacle like substance' that comment reminded me of another 'gunge' product from yesteryear Holts Piston Seal!

Looked on eBay and there is someone selling a tube for £45!!!

Sponsored Links
Back