Ticking pipe/rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

We moved in to our current house in June 2013. Over the next few months we gutted the entire place.

That included replacing all rads, lockshields and TRVs (though CH was already in place). As per the title, we get ticking noises in the morning when the CH comes on, from all the rads upstairs. It's 100% copper.

Unfortunately as we moved in in summer, apart from testing the heating we didn't use it so don't know if it's always happened.

I know generally why it does happens. I saw them doing the work (friends in the trade, I'm not an annoying observer!) so I know the joist notches etc. are not too tight, but the original install might have places where it's not ideal.

So rather than lifting (new) carpets and floorboards everywhere hunting for the noise, I was thinking of introducing something flexible at an (easier) accessible location, on both flow and return. Something like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-wflx21-pipe-repair-500mm-pack-of-2/34775

Is there a better 'fix'?

I had this very problem at my last house and DIY'd some new rads, which required altering the pipework. I used Speedfit and the problem completely went away, so hoping it will work again.

Sponsored Links
Well there is a better fix, because those hoses are not suitable for CH.

Normal Speedfit pipe and fittings?

Can get a lot of clicking when the rads have been fitted without the plastic edges that you fit onto the brackets.
would mean lifting the rads off to check though

I would say it's probably just the pipework expanding when heating up and nothing to worry about.

Sponsored Links
Can get a lot of clicking when the rads have been fitted without the plastic edges that you fit onto the brackets.
would mean lifting the rads off to check though

Nope, they're all on - the rads were fitted before decorating so I took them off to decorate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back