tiki bar roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am building a 'tiki' style covering for an outside bar area. It is apex roof extended off a summerhouse verhanda basically. Just using 4x4 and 4x2 timber and then exterior grade ply sheeting for roof. I was looking at roof shingles as they are cost effective and have 20/25 yr life span but also thought about tiki bar style roof. Still use ply sheets but want to put brushwood on top (the rolls of brushwood you line fences with).

So, the question is, if I do the brushwood what do I put on the ply first? Was thinking of either superior shed felt (15 yr stuff) or good quality damp proof membrane. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Here's ours

I used ply for the roof, then covered that with flat roofing felt, then fixed some 25mm laths vertically, to which the willow screen was stapled

View media item 64972

Cheers for that. I think i'll go for that approach rather than a membrane. I'll get the better type of shed felt, nail lats to secure it and then lay the brushwood over it. Just hope the brushwood weathers ok because I don't want to be having to replace that every couple of years really. That's my only real concern with the idea. The thin wire that secures it together tends to corrode quite quickly.

Bar looks nice ;)

The problem won't be the wire, but birds (and squirrels?) pinching brushwood

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back