Tile cement off wooden floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen has been installed and I now need to get the floor done. When I ripped up the old tiled floor, I found they had been layed on a board of some sort and with a very think layer of cemnt, which has stuck to the board in some places. How can I remove these to get an even surface? The floor is level with the hallway so would using one of those self leveling things work if I created a lip?

Sponsored Links
Is it a suspended, timber floor or a concrete floor with the “board” laid over it?

I took my kitchen tiles up to discover a lot of adhesive/cement on the wooden sub-floor. As I am trying to lay an oak floor on top I need to get the stuff removed. I have been using various chisels with a bolster hammer and a heavy sander - none of which have given me the desired result.

I am going to give the tool below a go next week before I look to cover with a new layer of ply.

If anyone has used a Surface Remover I would be grateful for feedback.

http://www.hss.com/g/5241/Textured-Surface-Remover.html

G

Sponsored Links
I now have the answer!

The Hire Shop didn't have the surface remover so borrowed and hired th following:

Bosch GSH 388 Chisel Hammer

Makita 9069 with Steel Circular Blade

The hammer was good a removing the high bits but took a lot of effort. However, the Makita, was a revelation and had the cement on the wooden floor removed quickly.

It did take me three times to sand and then clean - but the end result was perfect. Prepare yourself for the dust but as I was quoted £300 for someone to rip up and lay down new plan the £40 hire was worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back