tile cuts on a gable end wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, does anybody know how I can tile a gable end wall (90%) I suspect the cuts at the ends will result in some of the tiles having one or even 2 of the holes cut away. Is buying tile and a halves the way only way and I got a feeling this may have its problems as the angle is pretty shallow. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I take it you mean a raking top edge rather than an angle.

If you have a main pitch down to 22.5 degrees a Winchester cut will work but will need 2 gables per course at the rake if the pitch is too low or you could do what I think I correctly remember as a Sussex cut where you run a couple of battens parallel with the roof verge and run eaves tiles down the gable as the finish

The winchester cut will be difficult to do on a shallow pitch as you will cut to much of the tile away 40 degree's the recomended min.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I meant to say it is the wall I want to tile. Pretty sure its shallower than 40%. Think I get what your getting at. Have to admit i'm not sure if an eaves tile is a "special" Or how you go about fixing it?

as surrey estimator says winchester cut is the way to go and will work way below 40 degrees, but you will need extra T&H (Gables)

If you baton out you can put a baton on top those going with the verge and tile to that then put a tile over the verge baton to cover the cuts you will need a full tile and an eaves tile.

Okey dokey. I take it you mean the horizontal battens will bend out to sit on the eaves ones. Not sure how the nibs of the eaves tiles will touch their battens. My brain hurts.

I suggest you find the pitch of the main roof because the winchester cut gets more difficult the shallower it gets, the baton goes on top of the horizontal ones at the eaves thats for the sussex.

Ah that makes sense thanks. Using a bevel and level it looks like its about 30 degrees. If theres 2 verge batons each side is there a set distance they should be apart?

The sussex cut will require 2 batons either side, you only need enough gap so that the tile will go in the top baton can be used on its side to give the required height. You are better offering some tiles up and seeing what works.

yeah ta i'll lay a few out on the floor as well so im not on the scaffold hours before I even start. The way I got it in my head has the verge tiles at a right angle to barge boards. So the bottom edge of the verge tiles will run parallel to the barge boards but ive never seen one like that.

The verge batons are there for hanging tiles on to close and weather proof the verge, but if you have barge boards you can seal it that way.

When I say barge boards its just the facia board but theres a soffit there too so it will have to be tiles.
I layed a few tiles out on the floor to get an idea. realised if I want the edge of the normal tiles (top and bottom) to match up with the edge of the eaves ones the overlaps will have to be big due to the shallow angle that the eaves tiles will be. Bit of a waste as being a 90 degree the overlap neednt have been so much but think it would look odd if I dont.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back