Tile trim not needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tiler is telling me that he doesn't use tile trim in bathrooms.

All of my parents bathrooms and shower rooms have tile trim, so I am wondering what is best?

Is there is a good structural reason for fitting trim? For example stopping moisture getting into the tile etc. Or will some grout be okay?

Sponsored Links
Once upon a time tiles often had one finished edge or you could buy RE tiles where one edge was rounded.

Most tiles now are just plain and without trim you see a big expanse of unfinished tile that looks naff!

In some cases where you are painting up to a tile edge by painting the grout it can look quite neat but in most cases, like corners, trim would be my choice certainly.

That's not good. If it was stone then an exposed polished edge looks good and you can mitre tiles to avoid a trim. But having tile edge exposed as it is in the picture isn't right. Functionally it won't make a difference but visually it looks very poor & I wouldn't pay anyone who did this.

Sponsored Links
I will have a word with him on Monday. He suggested we use carpet trim last time instead of tile trim. He says he has it in his bathroom. I don't belive him. I think he suggested carpet trim because it sits on the surface and it is less work for him to fit.. :eek:

I haven't paid him for anything yet, so I will ask tell him as nicely as i can that I want him to fit the trim. The rest of the bathroom is nice so I don't know why he bodged the windows.

Carpet trim! That's a new one.

He'll need to take the tiles off around the reveal to get the trim in and make sure he redoes the cut around the window ledge so that the grout line gap lines up.

I wonder if he watches this forum and is now thinking. Oh Bother! or something very like that ;)

I've seen it happen on other tiling forums where someone comes on to defend his work. Can't see it happening with this chap though. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back