Tile vents - mildew HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I've noticed mildew on the eaves area of my loft conversion ... there is one tile vent in there already but no eaves ventilation that I can see.

How many tile vents are required ? Or is it trial and error ?

The space is north facing

Attachments

• IMG_9337.JPG
    IMG_9337.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 160
Sponsored Links
. Ok what is the roof covering? Slate or tile?
How much insulation do you have at ceiling level? is the loft hatch insulated too?
any pictures from outside?

Its dark at the min so I've grabbed a street view to give you an idea .... the tiles are marley modern with a breathable membrane.
Ceiling insulation is that loose fill stuff you can see in the picture ( its roughly 4-5 inches deep ).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 17.47.19.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 17.47.19.png
    683 KB · Views: 110
sorry but no the loft hatch ( which is actually a vertical access hatch off the loft conversion landing ) is not fully insulated so its also not a vapour barrier. Its got a polystyrene insert but can't imagine its got any kind of U-value worth talking about.

This was one of my points with building control, whats the point in installing a vapour if its ok to cut a hole in it ? ( face palm city ).

Sponsored Links
I can see the breathable underlay.
I think you should certainly upgrade insulation including hatch cover. This will lessen warm moist air upwards.
Are your bathroom extractors working? and connected to the outside?
Vent tiles are easy to fit in moderns.

I'll get something to fit in the hatch and yes the extractors are working :/

How many vents do you think ? I can't find and calculations online

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back