Tiling around shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had a bathroom fitter in to do our bathroom and he made an absolute mess of it and I'm still picking up the pieces now. He ended up walking off the job incidentally.

We have a curved walk-in shower tray. It seems he's tiled the walls and then fitted the shower tray. Unfortunately he hasn't tiled the walls square so there is a gap between the shower tray and the wall, at its largest it's approx. 1cm and then reduces to nothing at the other end of the tray. Needless to say we're having trouble with it leaking. Fortunately the shower sits above an entry between our and our neighbour's house so it's only leaking into that for now.

I've tried trimlux, first having a plumber fit it and then refitting it myself when it came loose, but it appears to be coming loose again and I'm losing the will to live with it!

I really don't want to remove the shower tray as he's cemented it in, so I'm wondering whether we could:

1. Run a layer of decorative tiles across the already tiled wall that would sit on top of the shower tray to bridge the gap, and then silicone the join like normal. That presumes I can find tiles at least 1cm thick and it's possible to fit them so water doesn't run down the wall and seep behind this row of tiles; or

2. Have two sheets of Perspex shower screen made to line the entire inside of the shower cubicle, again at least 1cm thick, and then silicone the join like normal. I'd intend on screwing the Perspex to the wall. This option presumes again that water can't get behind it and continue the leaking and\or cause damp or mould.

Any thoughts or views would be welcome!

Ta

Jay

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back